CHOICE

Spring passed beautifully.

Autumn danced with the wind, and winter. . . was as cold as ever.

At a time between the end of winter and start of spring, the sun shone brightly accompanied by cold wind.

Su Jin did not forget to put on her winter coat, attracting her cousins bewilderment.

"Ah Jin, the sun is out. Why are you still wearing such thick coat?"

"Still cold." Su Jin replied as she busied herself covering her ears with her hair and tucking her hands under the coat after.

She glanced up at her cousins, her eyes slitting in indignation.

'Why am I the only one sensitive to cold? So unfair.'

The group went out of the cityū before noon. They have long planned this outing to meet the start of spring.

...

Su Jin breathed in deeply, taking in the cold air of the mountain peak.

They were at a mountain peak bare with trees. Only grass could be seen everywhere.

With the other little mountain peaks in the horizon, it drew a perfect picture.

Perfect to sightsee.

Like every little outings they have, the girls started to make camp laying out a thick large blanket to sit on.

The men going back and forth to the carriage for their stuff.

In no time, a splendid meal was spread out at the center of the large blanket with everyone sitting around it.

Such simple things, Su Jin loved and appreciated each and every moment.

To have such freedom, going out without maids and guards.

To leave the little shackles of being a noble.

'To have the freedom of independence even if it's just the simplest knowledge of taking care of one's self.'

Su Jin smiled slightly, looking at her merry cousins filling their stomach without so much as an ounce of propriety.

At times like this, Su Jin wished she grew up here, with this people.

If. . .she had also been here in the past. She wouldn't experience so much, right?

But such thoughts are for naught.

As much as she craved a 'life'.

The past was also a life she lived willingly.

She made her choice.

And lived through it.

Su Jin blankly drank her tea. Her eyes suddenly focused, seeing the scene before her, she smiled.

'This . . . is my choice.'

...

For the rest of the afternoon, everyone played to their hearts content.

Men haunted and rode their horses, while the women chatted and played.

It wasn't until the sun started to set that they left the place.

The group quietly guided their horses and carriages to their home.

There was a slight pause before entering the gates.

It seems people are busy at the empty lot besides theirs, as reported by her nosy little cousins.