Chapter 5- Iker's Jersey Girl

The game has ended. Real Madrid won. Everyone who’s seated on the VIP area has left. Everyone, save for Mina, who was waiting for Iker. She bit her lip, not sure of what to do. Her head turned so fast when she heard footsteps, expecting Iker, but instead, she found herself staring at Sergio.

“Hey.” he greeted her and kissed her cheek.

“Hey, great game!” Mina said and smiled.

“You look good in that jersey.” Sergio said and Mina jokingly pirouetted to give Sergio a glimpse of her jersey.

“Ah, Iker’s jersey girl.” Sergio said decidingly and Mina chuckled.

“Speaking of, how long does he take in the locker room?” Mina asked.

“Actually, this is why I came here. You’ve got to wait for awhile but if you want, I can drive you home.” Sergio offered.

“Oh.” Mina said.

“He’s sitting inside the locker room and wants to be alone.” Sergio said.

“I’d love to go home already but I want to see him.” Mina said.

“You can tomorrow.” Sergio said.

“No, I want to see him now.” Mina said.

Sergio looked at her for a moment and decided he was too tired to argue with someone like Mina today, so he nodded and led her to the locker room.

“Do you like Iker?” Sergio asked.

“Well, I came here, didn’t I?” Mina answered and Sergio nodded.

“Fair warning, when he said he wants to be alone, he really means it.” Sergio said.

“And I’m here to annoy him.” Mina said and Sergio opened the door for him. “Thank you.” she added and he smiled, then left.

Iker remained seated, head bowed and reflected. Yes, Real Madrid won. He was happy, but he wanted to be the one who was out there, saving and keeping the balls away from the net. Diego was good and he was happy for him, but still..

“I want to be alone.” Iker said as soon as he heard the door open.

There was silence and Iker went back to wallowing, figuring that maybe, the staff or whoever came in, got the hint and just went out. He was about to shed a tear, when he saw a pair of blue flats that belonged to a girl. He tried hard to stop the tear from falling down.

“I want to be alone.” he repeated.

“But I want you to see I’m wearing the jersey of the best goalkeeper in the world.” she said.

Iker looked up, for he knew that voice. He found her standing a few feet away from him, smiling. He wasn’t in the mood to smile, he was so close to crying after all, but something in Mina’s smile made him smile as well. She was beautiful and she was wearing HIS jersey. He took a deep breath and tried to stand up.

“No. Just sit down.” Mina said and sat next to him.

“What are you doing here?” Iker asked.

“Told you I want you to see that I’m wearing your jersey.” Mina said.

“You are, huh?” he asked and Mina reached for his hand and squeezed it.

“Of course!” Mina said.

“It was a great game, wasn’t it?” he asked.

“It was thank you for taking me.”Mina said and Iker tried to smile again.

“You know, it’s okay to cry, right?” Mina asked.

“Hmm?” he responded.

“I know you’re close to crying.” Mina said.

“And you won’t see me do that.” Iker said in a small voice.

“Please. I saw you cry during the World Cup.” Mina said and shrugged.

“Happy tears, yes.” Iker said.

“Happy tears, sad tears..I don’t care.” Mina said.

“Then why are you here?” Iker asked.

“Iker tears.” Mina said.

There was a moment of silence and then, Iker finally conceded. A few tears fell and Mina sat beside him quietly. Mina wrapped an arm around Iker and rested her head on his shoulder.

“You’ll be fine.” Mina said.

“I know.” Iker said. “It’s just sad.” he added.

“I know, but you know what? Let’s go out and have fun.” Mina said.

“How?” Iker asked.

“Well, step one you need to stand up and gather your things. Step two, you and I are heading to your car. Step three, we’ll drive around until we reach your place and step four, you order food.” Mina said.

“That’s all?” he asked.

“Don’t worry, we can prank call Unai or Sergio or Ali, we can even yell at the top of our lungs or maybe we can sing and watch movies or stuff like that.” Mina said and Iker smiled.

“You’re the best, you know that?” Iker asked.

“Maybe.” Mina said.

Iker stood up and gathered his things and then they both headed to his car. While sitting inside his car and waiting for the traffic to finally move, Mina turned her head to look at Iker.

“I’ve just got the craziest idea.” Mina said.

“You’re nothing if not crazy.” Iker said.

“Have you ever tried playing with paint?” Mina asked.

“No.” Iker said.

“Let’s do that!” Mina said.

“But what if it won’t come off?” Iker asked.

“It will, trust me.” Mina said.

“I do.” Iker said.

“You may now kiss your bride, the steering wheel.” Mina announced and Iker chuckled. “Lame joke, I know.”

“But you’re still funny.” Iker told her.

“I try my best for you.” Mina said and Iker smiled.

Mina smiled back and looked away. She felt better after hearing Iker chuckle and seeing him smile. Iker drove the car and debated whether to tell Mina how she looks so good and beautiful in his jersey or not.