Chapter Two

"I had a dream about you. I was a cat. You were a red dot. And even those times I caught you, we couldn't touch. But still I chased you anyway."
~Ryan Lilly

"What's happening!"

"Weiss, is that you?"

"Ruby, get your hands off my face, you dunce!"

"Someone find the light switch."

Blake narrowed her eyes as, being a Faunus, they adjusted to the darkness. She glanced around the room.

Suddenly a green light hit the floor in front of her. It was incredibly dim, even to her. She frowned, stood up, and placed her foot on it. It moved away.

Damn.

She stepped on it again, knowing perfectly well what she was doing. She bumped into a couple of people as she went, and she slipped past them, muttering a hasty 'sorry' or 'excuse me' as she did, eager to catch the green light, and see who was pointing it.

It slipped around the doorway. Wary, Blake flattened herself against the door unsheathed Gambol Shroud, then stuck her head around the doorway.

She could only see the small green light, teasing her, moving back and fourth at the end of the corridor.

She let out a frustrated growl and dashed towards it, rushing to place a hand on it, but it moved up the wall. She hurled Gambol Shroud at it, gritting her teeth, but it just zipped up onto the roof. The blade imbedded itself into the wall.

She narrowed her eyes into slits and pulled her weapon free. Someone was playing with her.

She looked over her shoulder and saw a relatively tall man in his twenties standing in the corridor. His cheetah tail was twitching in amusement. Blake kept Gambol Shroud at the ready as he approached her.

"Blake Belladonna."

Blake flattened her ears and punched the man in the face. He reeled away, then wiped a hand across his cheek. She noticed a handful of wires in his fist.

"How do you know my name?" She demanded. Then she saw the man's mask. She was suddenly very pleased with herself having punched him.

He was not Adam - she didn't know this person. But their obvious affiliation with the White Fang troubled her.

The man did not respond. Blake hissed under her breath, then said, slightly louder, "Tell me who you are!"

The man flicked his tail, and held one finger to his lips, telling her to be quiet. Then he switched on the laser pointer again and pointed it down the corridor. Blake blinked, and he was gone.

She grinned. She liked this game.

She raced down the corridor to where the laser had been. It was now at the top of a staircase to her left, then it disappeared. Blake raced up the stairs, nearly tripping over her own feet. There it was again, on the door to one of the empty classrooms. Blake narrowed her eyes playfully and opened the door.

The man was there again. He switched off the laser pointer and put it in his pocket. "My name is Leif. I was once an ally of your former mentor."

Blake looked him up and down. He and Adam dressed in a similar way. And there was the mask. She wasn't surprised. Even his blonde and green hair was swept back in the same way, except it was much shorter on the sides, and the thicker part had much longer strands.

"Take off your mask," Blake demanded. Unfazed, the man did so.

He had a small, neat nose, a thin mouth, and his large, dark eyes made him look younger than he probably was. He was clean shaven, and he had a small scar on his cheek. The most distinctive part of his complexion that the mask hid, however, were black lines coming from his eyes like tears, the markings a cheetah had on it's face.