Chapter nine

Jackson Hart

I went to the motel almost shaking after my meet with Alexa. It had been five days since I last saw her. I was nervous, happy, and confused at the same time. I tried to think straight but I couldn't. New thoughts came rolling into my head like waves crushing against cliffs. She had a boyfriend. She was not a part of pack. She didn't know she was a wolf. I couldn't ask her to come with me, because I was a wolf and without her presence I would get wolfsickness. She would flee away from me if I told her that, thinking that I was some lunatic. I couldn't stay here with her, my pack wouldn't make it without me. It would be selfish to stay, I had a responsibility towards my pack.

A message ticked into phone, which was strange since my friends don't messaged me, they only called.

Hey, do you wanna meet up some time next week? :)

- Alexa

I felt hot and out of breathe, I needed fresh air. I went out of my motel door and filled my lungs with the cool air. I breathed out slowly. I felt almost feverish with my temperature going up and down like a rollercoaster. I sat down against the door.

I knew why I felt sick. The bond had grown stronger and I had gone too long without seeing her. I shouldn't have talked to her that day in the mall. I was being selfish. I had people, who needed me. And their needs came before my own. Their happiness before mine.

There was only one solution to the problem. I had to break the bond to her. But with the bond growing stronger again I didn't know if I would be able to break it this time. It was possible to break the bond, but your wolf had to be strong and you needed to not have been with your mate or even kissed her. If that happened the bond would be sealed and be able to be broken.

I slowly rose to my feet. A bulletin board on the wall caught my eye. It was filled with flyers and posters on top of each other. One of them was promoting a travelling carnival. I wondered if Alexa would like that? Maybe she...

I stopped myself. I had to stop thinking about her.

I knew it was crazy, that I had suggested to her that we could be friends. But right now it was better than not seeing her at all. I needed to be near her until the bond was gone. My phone interrupted my thoughts. Leslie was calling. I took a deep breath and picked up.

"Hey Jackie, have you found the flower yet?" She asked cheerfully.

"Nahh... I haven't gotten that far yet"

"Please say you didn't contact her"

"I ... I'm sorry Leslie"

"For gods sake Jackson, your bond was so close to breaking. Are you trying to make it harder for yourself?" She sighed. I understand why she was mad. She had worked day and night with me trying to break the bond.

"I know I have to break it. I've thought it over and there is no other solution. But I have a plan"

"You? Having a plan?" She laughed.

"Yes, I do in fact. I met with her today over coffee and we agreed we could meet again as friends. If I can convince myself she is happy without me, I think I can break the bond."

"Okay, what do you need from me?" She asked, knowing I only told her because I needed her to succeed.

"I saw a travelling carnival is coming to town next week. I'll invite Alexa and her boyfriend to come with you and me, if you would please come to Tonawanda?" I was getting cold and started shaking, so I went inside again.

"Okay I will drive across the country for you. But you better not kiss her and seal your bond with her. If your bond is sealed and you're not able to be with her, then your wolf would slowly die and you along with it." She was mad. But I knew it was only because she was scared of loosing me.

"I know Leslie. I will get wolfsickness." Or I already had it. "And Leslie?"

"Mhmm" She mumbled

"I've decided I want an arranged mate"

"Really? I thought you were against it"

"I was.. Or I am, but the bond is hard to break and the pack needs me. I can't go around wasting my time breaking bonds, that my wolf decides to make. I think Caroline will be a great match, she cares about the pack and she's strong"

"But she's also such a bitch" Leslie sighed.

"Then you two will get along well" I teased her.

"Shut up" She laughed. "If that's what you really want, then I'll go tell her the news"

"It is. I've made my decision"

"Good, see you in a couple of days" And then she hung up..