Chapter two

Alexandra Watson

"I think it looks great on you," he said to me laughing so hard that his blonde curls jumped up and down.

"Its not funny Jer! I will just change my outfit in the car." 

I made a half turn while looking in the mirror. Baby pink was really not my colour. My hair was long and light brown, my eyes blue and my skin fair. I felt much more confident in something blue or green. So I packed a pair of ripped jeans, fish net stockings and my favourite blue sweater.

"Lets go then," he said with a grin.

"Bye mom!" I yelled as we walked out the door. 

Jeremy opened the door to the backseat of his car with a gentleman gesture and I giggled as I jumped in the car. He started the car and as soon as we were out of the clearing I started to change my outfit. I fumbled with my stockings, as I looked up and gained eye contact with a pair of green eyes in the rear view mirror. Jeremy quickly got his eyes back on the road and blushed slightly. Me and Jeremy had known each other forever and always been best friends, but it was undeniable that there was something else between us as well. When I was done changing I sat on the seat in the middle and leaned forward, so I could see him.

"Sooooo..." He said hesitating.

"So?"

"I was wondering ... Do you even like the 90's?"

"Hmm... I dont know, I wasn't alive back then."

 I couldn't help my giggling, he seemed nervous in a weird way, and with no reason to be.

"I hope the Witches doesn't show up today," he said making a grimace. "They always know how to kill the vibe."

"Then that makes the two of us." 

The Witches were a group of mean girls and not real witches, who always made mean comments about me, even though they didn't know me at all. They just thought I was the weird girl, which only made me feel more misplaced.

Jeremy pulled up at the diners parkinglot and stopped the car. I took a deep breath and tried not to be too nervous about going in. I really hated these kind of social events, but for once I would actually try to have fun for Jeremys sake.

We walked into diner and I quickly scanned the room. I had seen most of the people before and of course the Witches were here too. They were already looking at me and whispering to each other. I decided to just ignore them for now. Maybe they wouldn't try to bother me tonight?

We sat down in a booth in the far end of the diner. A waiter, all dressed up for the 90's theme, came with a menu for us. Even though we'd been here so many times before. I looked down at the menu and slowly felt the outsider-feeling come creeping like a fog. It almost made me feel sick.

"Alexa? Alexa are you in there?," Jeremy asked, waving his hand in front of my face.

"Hmm? Oh sorry, did I do it again? The spacing out, while you talk?"

"It's okay, do you know what you want? I will just take the usual"

"Yeah me too. Let me order for us."

I walked up to the waiter behind the counter and tried my best not to look at the Witches. I could feel them starring at me.

"So what would you like sweetie?" said the waiter smiling.

"Two strawberry milkshakes and two cheeseburgers, please"

"Coming right up."

A few minutes later were the milkshakes done, I took one in each hand, when I saw one of the Witches coming straight for me. I rapidly turned around and bumped into the guy standing behind me.

"I am so sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you like that," I tried my best to apologise to the tall stranger in front of me. He was actually quite handsome with dark brown hair, sunkissed skin and golden brown eyes. As our eyes met he looked almost startled, like he was frozen and couldn't move. He mumbled something I didn't understand, and before I could ask him to repeat was Jeremy already by my side.

"Is there a problem?" Jeremy asked, a little protective. And the tall stranger suddenly came back to life.

"No not at all, just watch where you are going okay?" he said, in a friendly way and patted my shoulder with such a light touch that I almost didn't feel it. But I did. The feeling was indescribable. Burning, electrocuting, leaving me wanting more.

"Come on," Jeremy took a hold of my elbow and lead me down to our table. I looked back over my shoulder to see the stranger one last time, but he was already gone.

On the way back in the car we almost did not say a word to each other. I just stared out of the window, watching the beautiful sunset and felt the spring breeze flowing in. We made it to the clearing and the car stopped. We sat there in silence for a few minutes before Jeremy finally said something.

"Don't you think it is time for us to actually go on a real date?" he bursted out, like it was something he had waited to ask me for a long time.

"Ehh.." I was startled and had no clue how to answer his question. I knew there had been something going on between us for a while, but I didn't know if I wanted it to be more than that. But I did know one thing - He would be really hurt if I turned him down.

"Okay, let's go out some day," I said with a shy smile.

"Really? Great!" His green eyes were shining and his smile growing broader.

After a bit of awkward smiling I finally got out of the car, waved goodbye and went inside the house. I sat down with my back against our thick wooden front door. What a day. I needed to clear my head and the only way to that was to go for a run. I ran my fingers through my long hair, made a high ponytail and went upstairs to change my clothes.

I ran as fast as could until I was at the ravine about 3 miles away from my house. The air getting cooler as the moon began to rise and I slowly felt my body relaxing. I walked over to the edge at the ravine and looked down at the huge river at the bottom. I sat down on the edge and enjoyed the moment. On the other side of the ravine was Canada and the most magnificent forest, but I'd never been there. My mom had always told me that the forest was cursed. When I was younger the thought of the other side scared me.

I stared at the other side and admired the beauty, when something caught my eye. It looked like it was a big animal snooping around the edge. It was getting dark, so I couldn't see clearly all the way to the other side. I tried to focus and find out what this mystical creature was. Maybe a wolf? No I couldn't be. Wolves hadn't lived around here since before I was born. Maybe if I just walked a little closer to the edge I would be able to get a better look. And just as I tried to get closer, the animal jumped from the edge and fell all the way down to the river.

I rubbed my eyes. Was I dreaming? No it was real enough. What did I just watch? I shook my head and started to jog back home. This day could not get any more strange.

I walked out of the shower and started to dry my hair while I brushed my teeth. It was around midnight, so my mom had already gone to bed. I navigated in the dark and found my way out to the kitchen to grab a bite to eat. The fridge didn't hold much food, so I just grabbed a banana and stood by the kitchen door watching the night.

"Miaaaav," complained Buttercup from the middle of the lawn.

Typical my mom to leave Buttercup out at night, when she knew how much the cat hated it. I opened the kitchen door and went outside to fetch her. I kneeled to pick her up and just as I was about to grab her, she ran into the house with a speed I hadn't seen before. I don't think I'd ever seen that cat run before. As I was about to stand up I suddenly felt a warm and heavy breath on my neck. I rose and found myself eye to eye with a giant wolf.