Chapter 2- An Emperor's Desire

***

"His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Anastasius Gaius Aurelius Caesar," The man called as I stepped into the room and everyone dipped down into a bow as they waited for me to climb the steps towards my golden throne.

Sitting down, I rested my cheek on my knuckles and waved my free hand, signalling for them all to pick their heads up and get to work on informing me about what was happening in my Empire. Not a moment later, they all started talking and one by one, I replied to each and every one of them.

This carried on for too long until eventually, it finally came to an end.

"If that's all then leave me for now," I grumbled and they didn't hesitate to do as told. Sighing, I ran a hand through my brown hair, leaning forward on my throne as I tried to get the image of a certain woman out of my head but failed.

"Everyone other than Julius," I said and the man stopped, turning back around to come and stand in front of me, looking up at my intimidating self.

It's nearly been a week since I saw her and it didn't look like I'd be seeing her again any time soon. Valeria, I really wanted to make her mine and not just her body. I wanted her mind and soul too, I wanted all of her.

Just as she's been in mine, I want myself to be in her head if I wasn't already.

I've been alive for 26 years already, it's about time I find an Empress for my Empire... And who better than Valeria?

She has beauty, smartness and wit, she comes from an influential family and she knows how to put people in their place, that'll be a useful trait to have when dealing with my annoying council who always have something to say in matters they aren't even involved in.

Most importantly though, she is the only woman that I have ever wanted so desperately.

"Yes, your imperial majesty?" Julius asked when I didn't say anything for a while.

Now, how to put this into words...

"Your sister..." I started.

He blinked, confused by the topic but nodded anyway. "Valeria? Is everything okay with her? She didn't do anything to offend you, did she?" He curiously asked, trying to hide the fear in case it might have been true.

"No," I shook my head and saw him visibly relax. "You are my friend, aren't you? The leader of my Praetorian guard and one of the few people that I trust with my life," A small smile graced his lips and he nodded his head.

"Just as you are mine, your father was also a good friend of my father's," Once more, he nodded his head but the confusion and curiosity of where this conversation was going began to intensify in his eyes which were the exact same colour as Valeria's.

"Is everything alright? Your imperial majesty?" He finally asked.

"How would you react if I told you that I am interested in your sister?" The surprise flashed through his face faster than a flying arrow and as soon as it had appeared, it was gone, replaced by a knowing look.

"I would ask you in what way you are interested in her," He played along.

"If I said a concubine?" I feigned and he blinked, taken aback as if having expected that reply but still not enjoying the brunt of it.

"Where I stand in the matter will not matter," He said.

"And why is that?" I leaned forward, intrigued.

"Permission to speak freely, your imperial majesty?"

"Granted," I agreed but it seemed like he was already speaking freely before he even asked for permission. Nonetheless, I let him carry on with his words.

"My little sister is an independent woman that does as she pleases if she believes it is the right thing to do. If she chooses to be happy over powerful then she will go through any feat to stick to that idea until the end, she is the kind of woman that will go against an Emperor and his Empire if she believes that she must," He raised his head higher, meeting my gaze.

"She cannot be bought with money, if a man wants her then he must truly try to woo her or she will not be fazed. She is of 18 years, and our father and mother have already started looking for a husband for her but all the men they find, never last," I hummed, leaning back on my throne after hearing his words. I can't say that I was surprised.

"Also, if you want her as a concubine..." I turned to look at him when he started to speak once more and nodded for him to continue.

"No matter how she feels, she will not let that happen," Once more, I felt my interest in her peak when he said that so confidently.

"Growing up, Valeria has only wanted one thing from a man. Over beauty, wealth and influence there is only one thing she has ever wanted,"

"And what would that be?"

"Loyalty,"

"Loyalty?"

"Just as she will have one husband in her life, she wishes to be the one and only wife in her husband's life. So, if you are asking her to become a woman that she does not want to be, a concubine, she will reject you with every fibre of her body. No matter what anyone will try to say to convince her, she will only ever marry a man who is loyal,"

I stood up from my throne, gliding down the few steps until I stood in front of Julius and he tilted his head down in respect.

"Then... If I asked to make her my one and only wife, my Empress... How will you react then?" He snapped his head up, eyes wider than the sun that shone outside, his jaw hanging loose which I politely clicked shut for him.

"The council are getting impatient about an heir too, I am 20 and 6 years of age but I still have no heir, let alone a wife. Have you never wondered why?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"I wouldn't dare pry into your personal life, your imperial majesty," I stared at his bent head for some time but eventually, I raised a hand and patted his head before spinning around and going to sit back on my throne.

"I have slept with many women in my life but before I did, I made sure that none of them was able to have my child. Because that is a privilege for only one woman, my wife. And up until now, not once have I ever wanted to make anyone my wife as much as I want Valeria to be standing by my side for the rest of my life,"

He stared at me in a new light after that.

"... Is it because she is beautiful?" I leaned my cheek against my palm when he said that, thinking back to when I met her and talked to her in the garden.

"She looked me in the eye," I mumbled.

"Pardon me, your majesty?"

"When anyone looks at me, no one ever dares to look me in the eye. Not you, not the Senate and not even my deceased mother... Valeria is the first since the death of my father nearly 10 years ago... She intrigues me," I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"At first, she caught my attention because of the sound of her laughter but then I was infatuated with her beauty and then it was her entrancing smile... But when she looked me in the eye and spoke, it felt as if she were talking to me rather than at me," That probably didn't make any sense.

But when I next looked at Julius, he was smiling at me in a way that made me think that I had said the right thing and now that I think about it, I guess I did.

Honesty is beautiful, after all.

...

KEYWORDS:

Empire- An empire is a sovereign state consisting of several territories and peoples subject to a single ruling authority, often an emperor.

Praetorian Guard- The Praetorian Guard was an elite unit of the Imperial Roman army whose members served as personal bodyguards and intelligence for Roman emperors.

Concubine- A concubine was defined by Roman law as a woman living in a permanent monogamous relationship with a man that was not her husband.

...