Chapter 32- Prepare for War

***

"Everything is ready," Claud said just as I finished getting my armour put on. I stared at my reflection for the last time today before sending a mental prayer up to the gods and nodded my head, turning to look at him.

"Then let's go," Despite being Ria's personal bodyguard, I'm having Claud go to battle with me, swapping places with Julius whom I trusted with Ria and my son's safety more.

"How long is this supposed to last?" I asked Tiberius on my way out to where many citizens were waiting to see me, their cheers being able to be heard from here.

"Three days at most but if everything goes according to plan then just over a day," Tiberius replied, walking a few steps behind me and dressed in his own armour.

"Good. Let's hope that everything goes according to plan then," He nodded in agreement to that. With the stress of this upcoming battle weighing itself down on my shoulders, I haven't been able to get a good night's sleep despite Ria's calming presence, but after this is over, I will celebrate like never before.

For the sake of this Empire, maybe I should try having another heir too.

Upon approaching the entrance, I paused in my steps when I saw my wife waiting to bid me farewell, or rather, she had gotten bored of waiting for me and started playing with Evan.

She stood him up on the ground and squatted down a few steps away from him, outstretching her hands towards him and unknowingly, I watched with frozen breath as my son worked to take his first steps.

He laughed, his own arms reaching out for his mother and the first step turned to two and then three, but on his fourth one, he tripped and fell forward, Ria doing well to scoop him up just in time and they both laughed.

"Well done, my boy!" She stood up, spinning the both of them around before blowing raspberries on his stomach and his laughter got louder at the tickling.

I breathed out a laugh and continued on my way, eventually catching both of their attention.

"Are you ready?" Ria asked, the laughter fading away until a light smile was all that remained on her face. Nodding my head, I moved to hug both her and Evan.

"I will return victorious," She nodded this time and kissed my cheek.

"I will pray for you. So will Evan, right?" She turned to look at him and he laughed, outstretching his hands for me. With a small smile, I picked him up as he wished and kissed his cheek as he got comfortable around my waist.

"Do not be too mischievous," I jokingly told him, ruffling his hair before leaning down to capture Ria's lips with my own. "And be safe," I whispered.

She smiled at my words and nodded her head.

"I should be saying that to you," She whispered right back as I pecked her lips once more. She moved to pick Evan out of my arms and he straddled her waist as I moved to walk towards the waiting crowd.

"I love you, my Empress," I said before I forgot.

"I love you too," She waved and Evan followed her actions, waving after me too.

"Let us depart," I nodded to Tiberius.

And so, we left the safe confines of the palace to head to the waiting battle and to teach the scoundrels a lesson while simultaneously warn any other upcoming threats.

***---***---***

"It's just as we predicted. We should stick to the original plan," Tiberius spoke and I nodded, eyes focused on the map which sat in front of us on the table.

We were currently setting up camp, the men preparing for war and us higher-ups thinking of the best approach to win this battle with as few casualties as possible.

"We'll send the front line troops first and then a smaller number of soldiers around the side to completely overwhelm them with the unexpected attack. We've got the archers ready with the fiery arrows. This battle shouldn't last longer than a day," Tiberius further explained.

"Okay. But send at least ten of the best archers to go around the battle to the back of the enemy territory. While they go, we'll spread flammable things around the area so the fire can spread. They'll be discreet and stay hidden until the attack,"

"But-"

"Trust me, Tiberius. I want to hurry up and end this battle just as much as you do. We both have families waiting for us," After hearing that, he nodded his head in agreement without any further provocation and went to do as told.

And a few hours later, the horn sounded.

"Are all the men ready?"

"Yes," The man nodded his head and I sighed, closing my eyes and praying a silent prayer to the gods for a fast and easy victory.

"Let us go," Grabbing my helmet, I left the tent and went to my waiting chariot, getting on the vehicle and putting my helmet on before taking the waiting sword and shield handed to me by one of the soldiers.

"I advise that you do not go too far out. You are our Emperor and the leader of this great Empire. Above all of us meaningless people, the enemy will come for your head first," Tiberius said as he stood on his own chariot beside me.

"I understand, Tiberius. You will keep me safe," I smirked at him and he blinked but nodded his head not a moment later without a hint of hesitation.

"It is my duty to do so. I will not fail you," He spoke quietly as I turned my head back to face forward and breathed out a heavy, encouraged sigh. Looking up to the heavens, I imagined the smiling face of my wife and child. Soon, I'll return home to you, Ria.

This battle will end with their blood and victory for us.

I will not allow for there to be any other outcome.

So, raising my sword in the air, I released one loud, angry growl for my Empire and all its people who will never be sheltered in the fear of enemies again.

"War!"

...

KEYWORDS:

Chariot- The Roman chariot was a two or four-wheeled cart usually pulled by horses. The chariots used in racing were two-wheeled and made of wood so that they were lightweight. This made the chariots perfect for maneuvering around the track. However, it would have provided little protection for the rider.