Chapter 31- To Ask for Forgiveness

***

"Shall we go see if your mother's calmed down a little bit?" I asked my son who I don't think understood the question but he laughed nonetheless and I chose to take that as a yes.

"Tiberius. I'll leave you in charge to prepare the men," The general nodded his head as I strolled past him, patting my son's bottom as his legs hung loosely by my waist, arms wrapped around my neck and waving to whoever stood behind me.

"No one's gone in to give her some space but she's been silent for the past hour," Claud informed once he noticed me approaching. I didn't reply and only nodded as one of the guards opened the door and I stepped in, hearing him shut the door behind me once again.

"Flower," I called, looking around the place until my eyes landed on the said woman.

"All that shouting must have made you tired," I chuckled to myself, walking over to the bed where she lay, a peaceful look on her face as she slept.

Evan moved to sit beside her and he started playing with strands of her hair but it did nothing to disturb her sleep. Leaning down, I lightly kissed her on the lips before sitting back up and brushing her hair away from her face.

I know that after everything I've done, our relationship can never be the same again. That doesn't mean that I won't try to make it more bearable for her because the more she loves me then the less likely it will be that she'll run away from me.

And so, once again, I've come up with a plan that will make her forgive me. Even though, I personally, don't believe there was anything wrong with my actions. I did what I thought was best in the situation and I still wholeheartedly believe that.

But those barbarian's couldn't have picked a better time to rebel against me. It'll be the perfect situation for her to think back on her actions and worry for her husband.

Soon, it will all be fine.

Ria groaned, signalling that she was starting to wake up and I watched as she fluttered her eyes open, being met with the giggling sight of her child.

"Evan," She whispered, relieved, moving to hug his small body tightly and showering him with kisses the way that I always did to her. "I missed you," She whispered into his hair as he played with the fabric of her clothes.

"And what about me?" She pretended not to hear.

"Flower..." I called but instead of replying with words, she turned her back to me with Evan sat on her lap, clapping his hands as if this were some sort of play.

Just wait till he's old enough to learn sword fighting...

"I'm going to war," I decided to bluntly put it and smirked when I noticed her tense up, clearly not having expected to hear these words from me as soon as she awoke.

"W-what?" She breathed out.

"I said I'm going to war. As soon as possible to take care of the barbarian tribes that I told you about a few weeks ago," I specified and quickly wiped my smirk away when she turned her head over her shoulder to meet my gaze.

"Are you... Being serious?"

"War is not something to be made a joke of, darling," I flicked her nose, leaning forward on my hand to kiss her cheek and almost jumped for joy when she didn't try to avoid it.

"But... Why do you need to go? Do Emperor's usually go to war?"

"I do. I like to take care of things with my own hands," She frowned at that, the clogs turning in her head as if wondering how she was supposed to feel right now. I can't blame her. The very husband that she was very well beginning to hate may or may not be walking right into deaths awaiting arms soon.

And I knew, very well, that no matter how much Ria hated anyone, she would never wish death upon them. That included me, her husband.

"Aren't you happy? I know you hate me," I jabbed.

"I don't hate you!" She yelped, glaring at me, clearly offended and then realised that she raised her voice at me, something I hated and calmed herself down again.

"I just... As of late, you haven't been as likeable as when we first met. You didn't let me visit my mother and even locked me up in this room by myself, without Evan... So..."

"I understand," I finished, signalling that I understood what she was trying to say. Smiling, I tucked her hair behind her ear and pecked her lips while her cheeks tinted themselves with a light blush which I missed seeing.

"If it makes you feel any better, I won't lock you up anymore," I said

"Really?" She raised a brow, unsure of whether she should believe me or not.

"Of course. You are free to leave our chambers and wander the palace as you see fit. But, you must know by now that I will not have you leaving the palace walls. If I find out that you even tried to go behind my back, then darling, I can't promise I will be as lenient as I was this time," I smiled a smile at her, daring her to go against me.

She bit her lip to hold back any of the retorts she had planned on saying and instead, replied in a way that couldn't have made me happier.

"I love you, Stacius..." She hesitantly said and I grinned. How I missed hearing those words.

Though, I wonder if she really meant it or not? At this point in time, you can never be too sure. No matter how many years we've been married, Ria is always going to be confusing and a hard-to-understand woman, but maybe that's one of the big reasons as to why I'm attracted to her in the first place.

"I love you too, flower," I pecked her lips again.

"Be careful when you go to war... And come back safe, okay?" She turned her body back around to face me as I nodded my head and opened my arms for her. As expected, she didn't disobey me to fall into my embrace with Evan sandwiched between us and I showered both of their heads with my kisses.

"I promise," I hugged her tightly.

Now, I can't wait for all of this to hurry up and be over.

...