Chapter 36- Distant Feelings

***

The pittering and pattering of small feet approaching me and the laughter belonging to the three most cherished people in my life, my two sons and my wife.

"Papa!" Evan called running into the room.

"Papa," Ambrogio followed but looking less thrilled than his older brother.

"What is it?" I smiled at the two young children, putting my parchments to the side on the couch that I had been resting on and sat up, picking Evan up and sitting him down on my lap. I turned to see Ria walking into the room, picking Ambrogio up in her arms.

"We missed you," Evan said.

"Brother missed you, I just followed him," Ambrogio said, his arms latched around his mother's neck but it was obvious that he missed me just as much as his brother.

"And... What about you, dear wife?" I smirked at my wife and she narrowed her eyes into a fake glare. "You shouldn't have to ask about that? It is already quite obvious, why else would I bring the children to see you," She mumbled and I laughed.

"I missed you too," I kissed Evan atop the head and stood up as he sat around my waist. Making my way over to my wife, I leaned down and kissed her on the forehead as she squeezed her eyes shut.

Chuckling, I pecked her lips while her eyes were still squeezed shut and she hiccuped, surprised.

"I missed you the most," I whispered into her ear and she bit her lip as if trying to hold back a blush but if she was then she failed.

"I heard that," Ambrogio said and laughing, I ruffled his hair.

"Since we're all here, let's go eat some tasty food. I'm quite famished," I said and Evan rapidly nodded his head, beginning to tell me a list of all the food he wanted to eat.

***---***---***

Opening my eyes, I didn't move for some time and simply stared at the ceiling for some time, enjoying the warmth of the sun rays that cast itself upon me through the open windows before eventually sitting up and looking around me.

Right, I fell asleep while working.

I stared at the parchment on the floor beside me that fell out of my hands while I slept and picked it up, getting comfortable on the long couch once more and resting my head back, breathing out a deep sigh.

Running a hand through my hair, I thought back to the dream.

I want those days to be back.

But it's too late.

Children grow up too fast.

"Where are my children?" I mumbled out in a breathy whisper.

Julius who had been standing a few feet away from me, silently without making a single sound, stepped forward, hands tucked behind his back and head tilted down in respect while he answered.

"They are sparring at the training grounds," His breathy voice rang through my ears, echoing through my mind and I found myself craving a more beautiful sound; the echo of my wife's laughter which I hadn't had the joy of hearing in what felt like years. Maybe it has been years.