Chapter 27- Intense Glares

***

I peered at the sleeping woman in the bed, Ria's mother, my mother-in-law. She looked like a barely living corpse, it was quite clear that she wouldn't make it to tomorrow.

"How long has she got left?" I curiously asked her husband, the former head of my Plebeain guard but he was retired now. If I remember correctly, he retired a year after I became Emperor and I didn't see much of him after that since he was always at home.

My father-in-law and Ria's father... Ria looked more like her father than her mother but Julius looked more like his mother than his father, at least what was once his mother, this sleeping woman just looks like a skeleton right now.

"Unfortunately, not long your imperial majesty," He dipped his head down as he replied and I spared a glance at the woman for the last time, humming quietly.

"You have my condolences," I said that not sounding very consoling.

"Where is Ria?" I asked Claud, starting to get bored.

"She is-" He cut himself off when I noticed the familiar figure of my wife entering my line of vision from the corner of my eye and smiled at her as she flinched back.

"Your mother is resting, let us go to another room to chat... flower," I didn't wait for her reply and grabbed her arm, leading us out of the room as everyone followed behind as quietly as they could in this tense situation.

"I want to stay with my mother," She whispered, staring at the ground.

"You have already seen her, there is not much you can do for her from here on out so it is best that we return to the palace. Evan is waiting for his mother too, you should not keep him waiting," I spoke without missing a beat.

"Okay, good. Let us depart now," I moved to leave but her hand shot out, grabbing my arm and I paused, looking down at her and feeling one of my brows raise.

"No, you go back. I will come when I want, not now. Evan is in safe hands, I made sure of it before I left. I will be back before the sun sets," She tried to assure but the only thing that felt assured right now was my rising temper.

"Flower, do not test my patience," My jaw ticked.

"I am already angry enough as it is. After I told you not to leave the palace and yet you still did... and now you want to stay longer than you already have, I am not as patient a man as you may have thought," I leaned down to whisper the last bit in her ear, waiting for her to finally give in.

"And neither am I..." She whispered, taking a step back and releasing her grip from my hand.

"I have been waiting for too long, waiting for you to give me at least a little bit of freedom. I thought that I should just wait it out, that one day; you will trust me enough to let me leave even if it would be for just a little while. I thought it was all going to be okay with a little bit of time, but then mother fell ill and you did not even have the decency to let me see her..."

I didn't say anything and simply stared at her, wondering where she was going with this speech and wondering if she would even try and dare to embarrass me in front of these people, my punishment for her may end up being a little more extreme than I had originally planned.

"I realise that I am nothing more than a tool for you. A trophy that you want to keep by your side, but I am a human; one that you cannot control because I am not meant to be controlled," That defiant fire was burning in the embers of her eyes again. Stronger now than I remember... and that was a problem.

After I had worked so hard to put it out little by little.

It was starting to get out of control again.

"Darling," I started, taking a step closer to her and she didn't step back as I had expected. Instead, she looked up at me, head held high and despite her small frame, I do not think I have ever seen her look as intimidating as she did right now.

She was dedicated right now, wasn't she?

But seeing her clear intent only made me get more excited.

I wonder how long this defiance will last? Let's see...

"Linus," I called and the man jumped, surprised but stepped forward nonetheless with his head bowed down, waiting for my next words.

"Yes, your imperial majesty," He managed to word out.

"For scheming behind your Emperor's back and showing disrespect to both him and his wife, the Empress... Tomorrow, you will be executed,"

"Wh-What?..." He breathed out, head probably ringing with my words but I only smirked at him as if to say that he should have been prepared for this. Honestly, I'm surprised I was able to last this long without having killed him yet.

"Take him away," I snapped my fingers and despite their clear reluctance, two guards stepped forward and grabbed each of his forearms, beginning to drag him away. He shared a desperate look with Ria on his way out and she did the same to him, further increasing my annoyance.

"No, you can't do this-" I cut my wife off.

"And why not? The last time I checked, I was still the Emperor of this Empire... Or am I wrong? Claud, am I wrong?" I turned to look at the man and he instantly shook his head.

"See. And as the Emperor, I have the right to make decisions that I see fit for the Empire," Crossing my arms, I leaned down to smirk at her and she bit her lower lip, clenching her fists. "Or... Have you got something to say against me?" I dared.

"Yes, I have something to say. Linus is innocent. If you are angry at me then take your anger out on me, he has done nothing wrong. If wanting to see my mother is considered scheming against you then I am the mastermind, execute me if you must," She growled like a cute little lion cub and I chuckled, raising a hand to rest against her cheek.

"Oh no, execution is never even going to be considered against you, my darling. I have ways of punishing you that do not involve you getting injured, at least, not physically," She took a step back... as if seeing me in a new light.

And I took a step forward, interlocking my hands behind my back as I leaned down to whisper in her ear, gently pushing her hair away from her face.

"Come home with me now, without a fuss... And I will rethink my decision of Linus's execution. Or are you still not done with your little adventure for the day?" I moved back, smiling down at her as my hand trailed from her cheek to the back of her head.

And slowly, I pulled her to me, resting her head in the crook of my neck and kissing the top of her head as she shivered, hands tightly clenching onto the fabric of my clothes.

"I will take that as a yes," I said, moving my other hand to wrap around her thighs before picking her up in my arms, her arms automatically wound around my shoulders and I spun on my heels, kissing her cheek.

"Valeria," I paused at the voice of someone whispering her name and turned to see her friend, what was her name again? Balbina? Staring after us with a hesitant look.

I caught the woman's gaze and gave her one, intense glare and that was more than enough to shut her up and have her taking a couple of steps back.

Ria says that I haven't been giving her enough freedom but here I was thinking that I had been too lenient on her, things will have to change from now on or my wife really will learn to break free from me.

And that is something that I will never allow to happen.

...