Chapter 17- Focused on Worried Gazes

***

"Are you done?" I asked the slave and she nodded her head, putting the strigil away as I stood up, tightening the piece of cloth that was wrapped around my lower waist and made my way out of the bathhouse and to my connected chamber.

Upon entering the room, I was met with the sleeping figure of my wife who was quite clearly, still tired after last night's long-lasting exercise.

It was all finally back to place, she will no longer try running away from me after yesterday's bizarre adventure at the market, all those people who yearned to simply touch her didn't even know that they were drilling fear into their Empress.

But it's all okay now, she's learned her lesson and the people I hired to cause the scene have promptly been dealt with in a way that they can never let her find out about the fiasco.

Breathing out a relieved breath of air, I ran a hand through my hair and moved to sit beside her sleeping figure, outstretching a hand to brush her hair out of her face and pulled back, simply admiring her beautiful self that was all mine.

Leaning down, I gently pressed my lips against her forehead and she stirred, brows furrowing and mouth opening as she released a quiet yawn, stretching her arms out to get rid of the tired muscles before rubbing the sleep away from her eyes.

"Good morning, flower," I whispered as she got comfortable under the covers once more, closing her eyes again and quietly mumbling out her reply.

"Good... Morning..." She shuffled closer to me, wrapping her arms around my waist and hugging me tightly, her head resting on my propped up leg. Smirking at the enchanting sight, I ran my fingers through her loose hair.

"Did you have a nightmare? About yesterday's events? " I guessed and she nodded her head, eyes still shut as if trying to forget the memory.

"Were you very scared yesterday?" Once again, she nodded her head.

"I'm sorry," She whispered.

"I've already told you and I will continue to tell you that it is okay. There is no need for you to feel sorry anymore, I've already taught you your lesson last night. Or have you already forgotten?" I leaned down to whisper the last bit and she snapped her eyes open, quickly shaking her head at my question and I laughed.

"Shall we have breakfast now?" I asked, needing to get out of this room before I change my mind and trap both myself and my wife in this room for the rest of the day. She surprised me by scrunching her face up and shaking her head.

"I am not hungry, I do not even wish to think of food right now," Grumbling, she pulled herself away from me and got comfortable once more.

"Why? Are you not feeling well?" I worriedly asked, placing a hand on her forehead.

"A little rest is probably all I need," She said, further causing my frown to deepen. I didn't like this situation at all. When I say I want to keep her safe, I mean that I want to keep her safe from everything, including any illnesses.

"I will call the doctor. I do not want you leaving this bed today, okay?" She nodded her head, humming a quiet reply which I wasn't able to hear.

"I will stay with you today," I leaned down to kiss her cheek and she shook her head. "I will be fine once the doctor arrives, you should go to work. This Empire cannot run without its Emperor," She whispered out and I huffed.

"But-"

"Darling, you are not the only stubborn one in this relationship. I will be fine, okay?" She grinned a cheeky grin at me, outstretching her hands towards me and that was all it took for me to give in to her wishes.