Revenge

!Gore Warning!

The inhabitants of the cabin in the clearing were completely oblivious to the commotion happening close to the outskirts of the forest. Elizabeth was sat on the wooden stairs of the porch, looking out in the distance with a worried gaze. The trees weren't moving, the sun stockstill above the clouds. All leaves remained unmoving, the atmosphere was giving her that weird knot in her stomach that made it seem like something was horribly wrong. She had no idea why her husband had yet to return home; he had been gone for longer than usual and the fact that there had been no sign of him for so long had been enough to make her worry. It was a job to keep her son from catching on and keeping him calm.

Christian wasn't stupid, though. Despite his mother's attempts of leaving him in oblivion to her distress, he had managed to catch on. He had been feeling that almost disturbing feeling of upcoming disaster from the atmosphere and he had offered to go look for his father but Elizabeth would shake her head and shoo him back inside. He didn't want to see his mother in such state, especially if the problem was so easy to solve. Henry had stated where he would be headed as well so tracking him own would have been very easy. But no, Elizabeth wanted to keep the both of them safe as if anyone would walk over to the clearing to wipe them out while Henry was out. It hadn't happened yet so why would it all of a sudden?

"Oh, come on mum! I'll be out for an hour at most!", he said. He had been nugging her for a small while.
"I said no, Christian! You stay here, where it is safe! God knows what has happened out there! I will not allow you to risk getting hurt!", she said, standing up and looking her son in the eyes with a harsh glare. Reluctantly, he backed down, going to the small field of crops on the side of the cabin. Cabbages and carrots, ones that had been brought in Blue Peace from the human world, were growing peacefully in humble patches with the help of the fertile soil and healthy water of the lake just a few meters away.

The woman sighed, returning to her seat on the porch once he was gone. The trees had remained still, petrified on the spot. No leaves had moved, there was no air to move them either. Her eyes stared into the distance once more, her instinct telling her to watch closely. She studied the treeline and out of the blue, the leaves bristled and the forest abruptly came to life. However, that knot didn't disappear from her stomach but only grew tighter to the point that it hurt. There was an eerie ambience that they both picked up on. Christian gave it no thought and continued looking over the plants to remove any parasites that had been munching on them but Elizabeth only watched with a fearful expression.

Even though there was no draft of air, the water of the lake started to ripple and splash. That event sent off an alarm in the mother's mind. Her eyes widened and she stood on her feet, straining her eyes to look better. Sure enough, her instinct had been proven true. She caught a glimpse of white disappearing behind a tree; and she knew what that white meant.

"Christian! Go grab the gun!", she yelled, her eyes not leaving the hiding place of the lurking danger.
"Huh? Why?", Christian shouted, looking at where she was focusing. He could not see what she was freaking out about. Nevertheless, he walked up the steps to grab the back-up shotgun Henry kept in hidden in the  storage room.
"Just go!", she said, rushing him inside.

His hands worked fast around the different things kept in there. He found his way over rugs and under freshly cut wooden planks to the discreet chest at the back. The chest did not have a lock in case of an emergency such as this one for the key could have been lost at the day of the disaster. Quickly, he opened it and grabbed the gun that had been stored inside of the woolen bedding of the chest. He grabbed a box of silver bullets from the pile of ammo next to the rugs and he loaded it.

Then, he heard a guttural scream coming from outside. It was his mother. His legs carried him with big, long strides to the door to find his mum gone. There was only one clue of where she had ran off to, or rather dragged to and that was a trail of blood that led off the porch and towards the side of the cabin towards the lake. The boy didn't hesitate for a second, holding the gun close to his chest as he sprinted towards the body of water. In the middle of the wild waters rested a heart; an untouched human heart. Christian stood still for a minute as his mind tried to rationalize his finding. Surely that heart didn't belong to his mother, surely the blood that surrounded the organ didn't belong to his mother, surely the scream didn't belong to his mother.

Before he knew it, tears were spilling from his eyes. That scream was hers, that blood was hers, that heart was hers. All three were hers and he knew it. Silent sobs raked through his body, falling to his knees as he heaved for air. Vomit splashed into the water and some remained in his mouth which he quickly spit out. Why had this happened to his family? No one had attacked them in the years that he was alive so why would this happen all of the blue? Where was his father when his family needed him? Had he been killed too? Thousands of questions went through his mind, a sea of derailed freight trains crushing with one another in an extravaganza of fiery sparks and mechanical whirring.

Something splashed in the water but Christian didn't pay attention to the sound. Something approached him but he did not turn his head to acknowledge the frightening individual. Droplets of water landed on the top of his head, the reflection of a purely white stallion shining on the surface of the water and disappearing as the liquid began to morph into small waves. His ears started to scream unintelligible sounds. His eyes began to burn and turn puffier and redder than when he was crying and his throat clogged up with water. He could barely see a thing and the flailing of his arms couldn't help him as he was dragged to the depths.