The Two Fairies

The sun was up and shining light blue through the trees, white particles of pure shininess floating in the morning dew and dancing in the air. Creatures woke up one after the other yet the necric scenery of the forest remained the same as always. There was no sound except for the occasional croaking of the mockingbirds and the leaf rustle of something seemingly invisible to the naked eye. A few meters away from where the girl had fallen asleep was a pond surrounded by trees yet there was no life around it other than grass and soil. The water itself was illuminating from the sun, giving it a soft unnatural but beautiful glow.

It was high time the girl woke up to move onwards; to do as her mother told her and find the good people of the forest and continue with her life close to her one and only friend that remained. But how could she move on? Her mother had been murdered and the murderer was the one person who was supposed to love her more than her own parents; her husband. How could she forget the voice of her mother as she cried for help, hoping to stay alive but being put down by a loved one instead? As much as she tried to rid that scenario from her memories, she couldn't. From when she woke up, those screams played on loop at the front of her mind and she couldn't do anything else other than cry her heart out and weep for the death of her mother. What was she supposed to do again? She couldn't remember; her own mind wouldn't let her remember just to make sure she didn't forget the events of the previous day. Why did dad snap like that?, was the only thing she could think.

Out of nowhere, trees snapped from the direction of the glowing pond. As much as she wanted to wish her tears away, emotions didn't work like that and the fear that settled in made the volume of her voice higher. It was too bright to see anything clearly, especially if whatever made that noise was dark in colour... but it wasn't. From the trees came the head of her friend, then his front legs and then his hind ones, his white mane shining from the sunlight. The girl couldn't have been more happy to see him. Immediately, she jumped out of the bushes and somehow ran towards him without tripping due to her blurred vision.

She startled him but thankfully, he didn't kick or bite her because of that 'ambush'. She started mattering incoherent words into his leg which she was hugging, complaining about something that he couldn't quite understand. Yes, he had a greater sense of hearing but it was hard to make out what she was saying. And so, the only thing he could do was squeeze her with his chin and stand there until she calmed down enough to form normal words. It took a small while, thankfully she hadn't seen her mother's death because if she had, she would have cried a lot more. Would her father go to jail? She hoped he would for killing her mother, the most kind woman she knew of, in cold blood. Her sadness and confusion had started to turn into anger whilst she was being comforted by her friend and bad thoughts thwarted her mind.

Thoughts about her dad spending the rest of his time in jail along with all those other criminals plagued her mind. Thoughts of her shooting him with his own shotgun were there as well but she didn't want any blood on her hands, so she suppressed them and pushed them at the back of her mind. The neigh of her friend brought her back to reality and she realized that she had stopped crying and was instead grinding her teeth. She took a step back and allowed his muzzle on her body, wrapping her arms around his cheeks as she told him what had happened. His ears raised and he didn't move away until she finished ranting about her mother's death. Even though they spoke different languages and where from completely different worlds, he seemed to understand and empathize with her feelings almost like a domestic dog that has spent a lifetime with its owner. This wasn't an owner-pet relationship, however; she didn't own him nor the freedom he had every right to since birth.

At that moment, she wished to be just like him; a free spirit with no worries about the future and the past. She wanted to feel that kind of freedom where she didn't belong to anyone yet she would have to put up with that until she was older and was a person of her own. She didn't want bad thoughts in her mind nor those awful memories that she had recently unwillingly acquired. Wouldn't her life be better if there was nothing to worry about? No father, no death, no 'what will I eat tomorrow' or 'some kids don't get to eat everyday like you'. It would be the perfect lifestyle but she was a mere child and automatically depended on others for help, protection, food and water and other human necessities. I have to find those people mum mentioned, she thought with a small sniffle as the woman's screams replayed in her head.

"Can you take me to the dryad? Mum said to find the good people", she asked in a hushed tone, afraid that if she talked too loudly, Mr. Henry would hear her and come running to take her back to her killer of a father. She received something that resembled a nod as a response and after managing to climb onto his bag they were off.

"What brings you here, child?", the beautiful maiden with the midnight dress asked and the girl explained quickly. The maiden was taken aback by what she was being told and the confused gaze she had on her face turned into a sad one. She took the child into a hug when she noticed tears pricking at her eyes and beckoned something to come close. That something were two big light bulbs: one was pure white and the other was a majestic turquoise. The two blobs of light made a buzzing sound and the girl could make out big, almost transparent butterfly wings flapping and keeping those orbs in the air.

Her eyes widened once she realized what they were; pixies! She had read a lot on all kinds of fae whilst she was looking up kelpies and pixies were one of them. Weren't they supposed to live in villages though? They were out in the forest where any bad fairy could stroll by, see them and eat them! Maybe there weren't bad fairies in the forest, well, aside from her friend anyway.

The two pixies seemed curious, flying all over the girl's head and giggling. Was she the first human they saw in the forest? There were other humans in there, Mr. Henry's family for example, surely they had seen them at least once.

"This is Nina"-the woman pointed at the white pixie-"and this is Nana"-she pointed at the turquoise one. The two were giggling like crazy and truth be told, their giggling sounded more creepy than happy. "These two will guide you to the good people of this forest".

I feel like I'll be murdered in a dark alley with those two... She had to trust her mother, though, even if she was dead. She had to trust someone, otherwise she would cower in a corner and be lonely for the rest of her life -she didn't want that. With a nod, the maiden shooed them off but not before whispering something into the Kelpie's ear.