EASTER SPECIAL

Easter Sunday today, eyyyy :D
So, to celebrate this event, this chapter will be the Easter Special! Normal updates will continue next week!

This chapter has no relation to the plot and lets just say that all is well and they are in Blue Peace having a picnic. The Kelpie's name is known to the girl in here.

======================================

It was a nice, unusual day. The trees had been slowly changing their colour from blue to a soft violet. It wasn't every day that Blue Peace changed its hue and it certainly scared a few of its residents into hiding. Odan had taken the girl on patrol around the forest; he was walking and she was sitting on the back of her friend, the kelpie. Even Farrell seemed to be anxious about the colour change and Odan didn't have the answer to what had caused it. He had said that it happened once a year and that Enfys had abandoned studying the phenomenon a year ago.

"Why do the leaves turn purple, though?", the girl asked, tilting her head curiously as they passed by a shallow trench that was supported by wood pillars and planks. There were mice scurrying around in there, carrying food and their young from one place to another.

"I don't know", Odan responded, "They just do, that's all I can tell you".

She pondered in silence for a minute. Why would something blue, suddenly turn purple? Were they all dying? Most of the trees were dark and some completely naked but none of them had turned purple so that could not have been it. Maybe someone poured red food colouring in their roots? She had heard of people painting white roses that way.

"Maybe someone watered them with red food colouring?", she decided to ask.
"Food colouring? What's that?", the man raised an eyebrow as he turned to face her. He was genuinely curious for once.
"It's coloured water that you put in the food and it changes colour!", she told him with a smile. She remembered when her mum would paint eggs for Easter that way.
"That sounds strange. Is that what people outside of the forest do?"
"Yeah! In sweets like cakes and lollipops!"
"Lollipops?"

Normally, the patrol would have taken a couple of hours on foot but with the informational conversation they had, it seemed like it only lasted a few minutes. Odan and Farrell had learnt everything about the modern pastries from lollipops to ice cream by the time they were done and the girl had picked up on how lacking Blue Peace was in the desserts menu. She found it quite depressing that they had been missing out on all of the sugary foods of the outside world.

"Maybe it is Easter today?", she placed a finger to her chin, her eyes scanning the sky for answers. "People paint everything red during Easter week", she hummed.
"Is that a holiday of yours?", Odan asked but he was ignored.

"And someone came over and painted all the trees red and that is why they have turned purple! Blue and red make purple!", she exclaimed with a face only a very excited child could make. She felt like she had discovered the mystery behind the change of Blue Peace and she wouldn't be far off with that conclusion. Blue and red indeed made purple.

"... I doubt someone would have the colour for that, seeing as we are in Blue Peace, a forest of only blue", Odan told her but she did not let her smile fall.

"Who said they are from Blue Peace? Maybe the charitable Easter Bunny wanted to decorate the forest for us!", she exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air as she giggled. However, the man was not thrilled with her suggestion. His eyes widened when she said that the individual could have been outside of Blue Peace. That meant there was an intruder in the forest, and that wasn't good.

"Who is the Easter Bunny?", he asked in a serious tone, pacing to Farrell's side to take a good look at her face. He needed to be sure that she was serious.

"The Easter Bunny is the Easter Bunny. It delivers Easter Eggs to us and then we go on an egg hunt.", she told him, looking him straight in the eyes. "Then again, maybe Jack Frost pranked him and we won't have any eggs to hunt this year", she said.

"They sound like dangerous individuals", Odan hummed to himself. "We are circling the forest one more time to make sure they are nowhere near here".

"Again? But we have already been out for hours!", the girl whined, dramatically falling forward onto Farrell's neck. Maybe she should have just kept quiet :/