Fog

"Farrell, can you stop straying from the path?", Nevada asked the kelpie as politely as he could.

Farrell had been continuously to slip into the thickening foliage lining the dirt path they had been following. The girl too was confused about her friend's behavior but she found that it was better to let the two bicker like children instead. It was more entertaining than trying to calm them down anyways. I wish I had snacks to enjoy the show..., she sighed disappointedly because she knew that no snack would fall from the sky like that.

The mockingbirds had returned to their nest and they were actively watching the three of them as they traversed the terrain. They were perched on branches croaking, mimicking squirrel sounds and from time to time they would pretend to bicker like the older individuals of the group. It was a good sign -that was what Nevada thought. Since they had started to migrate to their homes, it meant that the danger was gone either temporarily or permanently.

"Hopefully, Odan and Enfys will have put an end to this ordeal before we arrive", Nevada commented and Farrell neighed in response. "No, we will not stop for you to 'rest', for all I know, you'll just run away with the girl and I have been instructed to watch over her".

They continued in silence after that. The girl was very worried about the other two adults. What would happen to her if they were to perish like her mother by the hands of those human invaders? She didn't want to be abandoned again, though she had hardly felt that way when her father shot her mother before. Well, the psychological trauma was still there, slowly eating away at the back of her mind and itching to come forth but her subconscious prevented it from doing so. But if she lost Odan and Enfys, what would happen afterwards? She knew she had Farrell by her side but he wasn't aware of the needs of a human (or half-selkie). What if she got a stomach ache out of the blue? Perhaps Nevada would be able to help but he was only instructed to watch over her while the other two were gone. Surely, if they had died, the crisient wyvern would not stick around for long and in the end it would be just her and Farrell -if the latter did not decide to leave her as well.

"Are we there yet?", the girl asked after looking at a peculiar flower in the bushes. The kelpie picked up on her interest and walked over to harvest the flower in order to give it to her. She smiled gratefully at him.

"We should be arriving when the sun has risen above us", the man told her without turning around. He was used to being vigilant in the wild but as things were, he had concentrated on taking the fastest route to the heart; where Odan and Enfys would be headed.

It was weird how they hadn't bumped into the trail of the two but that would barely be an issue in a minute.

"Huh", Nevada raised an eyebrow as he looked at the fork in front of them. There had never been a fork in the path they were on before. "This shouldn't be here", he mumbled to himself and Farrell neared his side to listen better.

"What's wrong, mister Nevada?", the girl asked as she two found his mumbling out of place. "Why are you staring at the tree?", she continued but she received no answer.

In the end, Nevada led them to the right and reassured them that they would not run into any wild dragon on the way who would wish to eat them. Well, at least only eat Farrell, who was one of the most disliked beings in Blue Peace for whatever reason.

"Farrell", the girl cringed as the name ruggedly rolled off her tongue. It would need some getting used to; to finally call the stallion by a name -his own nonetheless! "Can you speak human too or just horse?". He shook his head in response. The girl let out a disappointed sound.

"He can only speak in neighs in that form. If he morphs into a human, he can speak your language perfectly", Nevada answered for him but the other still glared daggers in his back. Or he had been staring daggers at his back before suddenly breaking off into a gallop. Farrell went forwards on the path running in a straight line and not straying. The girl yelped in surprise before clumsily clutching bundles of his mane in her small hands out of pure instinct.

"Hey! Slow down!", Nevada shouted from a distance. A blindingly bright light shined from behind them and before they could open their eyes, the sound of crystals clinking reverberated through the air.

A big weak shadow appeared above them and when she looked up, the girl's eyes widened. Nevada had shifted into his wyvern form. His crystalized body was reflecting light off the crystals and gems in all directions, making a makeshift rainbow out of his body. It was a magnificent, majestic sight straight out of a fable. He was really pretty that way, the girl had to note that much about him but Farrell begged to disagree. That was to be expected after their bickering.

"Hadn't you said something about wanting to rest?", the girl asked. She had picked up on Nevada's words when the other had neighed a response. The kelpie didn't bother acting out his answer, which led to her giggling.

The scenery had started to change. The atmosphere, too, had started to change. Thick clouds of fog filled the area and an overwhelming feeling of sadness mixed with a twisted enthusiasm ensued. The trees did not have any leaves on them anymore, almost like they had been shaken off or died trying to do so. Suddenly, there was no sound. There were no birds chirping, no critters scuttling about. Nothing. It was almost like the forest had completely died.

Farrell was forced to slow down and Nevada was forced to land so as not to lose them in the fog (much to Farrell's dismay). None of them dared to move a muscle and Nevada didn't even try to morph back in fear of alerting whomever had made the area as scary as a dark cave. And then, they heard a female voice echoing throughout the forest. Its owner sounded sad, happy and completely detached from reality.

Like a tree about to peel,
Like a fish without a gill,
Like a painting that is not surreal,
Like a gap that does not fill.

Alas...

That is how I feel.