Highlands

The trees were collapsing on the scorched ground as blue glass shards fell from above. The barrier, now without a force to keep it stable, had begun to break into tiny pieces. More and more natural, yellow sunlight made its way into the forest from the huge gaps that had formed in the few minute's of Zoe's death and there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. The trees and plants were dying, their leaves falling and their trunks darkening.

The warmth of the sun was overwhelming for the naturally cold environment. The temperature was rising uncontrollably and the grass had started to smoke and with the wind, sparks flew and flames arose to engulf the morbid forest. The fire spread up the roots and the sound of screaming soon became white noise.

But all that did not effect Farrell. He had achieved his goal. He had avenged his family by killing that human, the one who had done the most damage to his life; he did not want to go for the second one. There was no way to retrieve what was a once in a lifetime gift, he had no one to return to aside from his home, Scotland. However, he could start something new and that was what he was striving to achieve outside of Blue Piece. Zoe would not once lift the barrier to let out any of the inhabitants, her job had been to keep everyone in the crystal bowl that had been Blue Piece and only let in those who seeked shelter. So, his only chance of getting was for her to perish alongside everything she once protected. Putting her out of her misery was not the reason he had done it.

The girl was still on his back, crying and screaming for him to let her go. The memory of him galloping into the lake with her on his back flashed through her mind for a split second as he kept running full speed ahead. The path they had been following was one of dirt and gravel, untouched by the rapid fire. She ducked her head into the dip of her collarbones as her hands were still stuck in Farrell's fur, hoping and praying that none of the big shards would fall on them and crash them into a fleshy paste.

She had just witnessed another murder. First, her mother had died at the hands of her own father and then a crying woman  -a complete stranger- died at the jaws of her closest friend. The sight of blood and death scared her, mostly because it was foreign. That time she had gotten a full whiff of the iron odor and it had stuck to her nostrils like glue.

All her life she had been taught that murder was bad yet lately that was all she would see. She had begun to wonder if maybe she had been lied to; if perhaps murder was unpunishable and forgotten about. The two individuals closest to her had done it and Nevada had suffocated so many humans in that crystal wall. She was scared of the act and terrified of what the individual who had committed it would do. She knew there was no limit to how much one could kill, she had learnt that from her father who had chased her with his gun in Blue Peace.

Her screams died down after a while, her vocal cords had finally started to hurt and her throat had gotten sore. Another glass shard crashed into the flames outside of the path, pieces going everywhere and almost hitting them. Thankfully, Farrell was fast enough to avoid the stray projectile by a hair. It was pointless to try and yell now, they had gotten very far away from the dead heart. Odan hadn't chased after them, Össur wasn't flying through the sky, there was no majestic rainbow from Nevada's wings; she was completely at Farrell's mercy and he had not been paying any attention to her cries for help.

The sunlight shined on the path and the kelpie did his best to avoid all the rays of extreme warmth. The gravel beneath their feet was burning and his hooves were heating up and smoking as well. The smell of burnt keratin was apparent but Farrell showed no signs of pain. The girl looked up at some point to see the colour changes of the forest. The blue was completely gone and it had been replaced by green, yellow and orange. It was a surreal sight to see after spending such a long time in the cold, blue hue of Blue Peace. Well, it wasn't blue nor peaceful anymore. Heck, the forest was completely gone. As a child, she did not know what the consequences of the forest's disappearance would be.

After a while, she saw a herd of deer, who at the scent of smoke, they hopped away. The fire spread farther out, engulfing everything it could outside the original border of the fallen barrier. There were many animals who had fallen victim to the blue glass, so much blood and organs sprawled around. The heavy, iron smell was enough to make the girl want to vomit but her stomach was strong enough to hold its contents in.

A few more steps and the treeline of the forest was in sight. They had left all the trees and bushes behind them to burn for a much more magnificent sight. High cliffs, hills and mountains covered in a green blanket that reached out as far as the eye could see. Ravines and rushing streams ran through the uplifted dirt and stone, animals running by and drinking water from the cold water.

It was cold, perhaps as cold as late Blue Peace yet there was no snow to explain the sudden change of temperature. They had gone from cold, to warm, to cold again. What happened?, the girl found herself wondering but she didn't want to speak up and ask that question. She wanted to turn invisible, to disappear and somehow reappear in her mother's warm embrace.

But she knew that she wasn't in a fairytale.

====================

I tried to describe the highlands as best as I could :)

This can end in one more chapter or two more chapters. Which option do you want, dear readers?
After this book is done, I'll probably be working more on my other story: Crazy for you~(Yandere!Kelpie x F! Reader) -which is published.

I have a sequel planned for this book which will probably be much longer than this one so if you want to be updated about anything, please consider following me! :D