The Crisiant Wyvern

Night had fallen upon the forest and along with the shiny stars and bright moonlight came dark clouds that would soon water the earth with raindrops. The creatures that had seeked shelter in the area had long disappeared, leaving silence to take over. There were no sounds of birds singing, nor any night critters chirping and buzzing. The forest sounded dead, though it was far from it.

The girl had fallen asleep after hours of waiting for her friend, the Kelpie and Odan along with Össur to return to the hut. She had spent the last hour staring out the window whilst Enfys busied herself with weaving a necklace of gemstones at the table. There was no food to be served, probably because the witch forgot to cook something out of the stress and worry of the man and his dragon not having come back yet. It was certainly worrying, especially since Össur had been injured and that man, Henry was out there with a gun. What if he had chosen to follow the herd of fairies and ambush them in the tunnel?

There was no time to ponder the countless possible outcomes of that situation because thunder sounded from above. Soon after, there was rain. However, something was disturbing the sound of the droplets and prevented them from hitting the grass and dirt but the thunder didn't let Enfys hear what it was that caused the disturbance. The sticks and branches of the tunnel groaned and creaked, some even broke and landed on the mud underneath with a loud thud. The woman rushed to the bed and shook the girl awake. She had no idea what had crawled out of the deeps of the forest and she did not want to lay eyes on whatever that was.

"Are they back?", the girl asked and Enfys shushed her with a finger as she rushed to put out the lights and the fire under the big pot. "What is going on?"
"Stay quiet!", the woman hissed and she approached the window to peek outside.

Even through the darkness of the night and the overcast, raining sky, the shadow of something big was distinguishable from the other shadows on the pattern of the tunnel's roof. More thudding sounded as the creature crawled towards the entrance. The woman realized it was a dragon and once the creature shifted in size to enter the tunnel, she let out a sigh of relief. Odan and Össur had returned.

"Odan is back", she told the girl who had taken a seat at the table. The girl's eyes lit up and she rushed towards the door, pulling it open with some difficulty before running outside. Enfys ran after her, telling her that it was too cold to be outside but her words fell on deaf ears.

"Mister Odan!", the girl shouted as she neared Össur. The man waved at her with a barely noticeable smile on his face, though it wasn't visible due to the extremely low lighting. Light came from the hut as the witch lit up lanterns and the fire under the pot, barely enough to light up the darkness.

Another man dismounted the dragon following the man and the girl could only do so much other than stare with wide eyes at the new stranger. Who is that?, she thought to herself as Odan led the three of them back to the hut. Enfys welcomed them with a relieved facade but her hands started shaking at the sight of the nude, white-haired male that accompanied them. Immediately, she grabbed the girl and covered her eyes by holding her head away from the other two. Her eyes grew wide as she ran her gaze up and down the nicely built man until Odan asked for some towels to cover him up.

"My name is Nevada, I am a crisiant wyvern, though I'm sure you have already guessed that much", the man told them, pointing at the gems that adorned his body. He had sat criss-crossed near the fire that made the soup in the pot boil to warm up after being in the rain for so long. Odan had taken his place by the window, whilst Enfys had seated herself opposite of him, the girl curled up in her lap. The woman didn't seem to care as much about her space being invaded by a child since her interest was glued on the man.

"Sir Odan told me you are named Enfys and you are... the half selkie? In all honesty, I didn't expect you to look like this... so, human", he commented as he examined the girl. The woman nodded with a smile, wrapping her arms around the child as if she were a grand prize. "So, did you two kidnap her or?"

"She was chased into Blue Peace by her mad father who killed her mother. Odan and I are taking care of her", Enfys said in an assuring tone.
"I thought you didn't like her as much?", questioned Odan but he only received a death glare from the witch, which led him to raise his arms in defense.

"Anyways", Odan started, "I brought Nevada along because he was a victim of the hunters. If you have forgotten about the crisis we are in, Enfys, you should remember it."

The woman snapped out of her swooning at once. The girl too seemed to be more invested in the conversation as well.

"I know that there are hundreds of pests lurking in the forest, they are looking for the heart. I have reason to believe that they want to destroy Blue Peace and force everyone into the human world to turn us into some sort of exhibit. That is what I overheard from my captors before Odan and Össur rescued me"

"They are trying to get to the protector...", Enfys realized, pushing the girl off her legs and standing up. She turned towards a corner of the hut, towards a big pile of parchments and picked up one that contained a map of the forest. "We need to alert every single inhabitant of Blue Peace about this", she said and Odan nodded.

"Össur has already left to do just that, plenty should know of the news already", he informed them. "Enfys, you can stay here to look after those two. I will go to the heart once dawn hits, with or without Össur; it is my duty to protect it after all".

"I will come with you", the woman told him with a brave face, stretching out her back to emphasize her point. "It is my home as well and I will not sit and watch it be destroyed by vile humans".