The Morning After the Storm

It was 5am and the full moon was still ruling over the dark sky. The sounds were becoming louder by the hour to the point where her ears started to hurt at some point. The girl sat up, getting out of bed and made her way to the kitchen, her footsteps muffled by the thick wool of her socks. The sounds lowered in volume as she neared the counter. The girl didn't think much about it, relieved that she didn't hear the sounds anymore and her ears would stop hurting. She filled a glass with water and drank the whole thing. After she put the glass back in the sink, she tiptoed but the sounds started raising again the farther she distanced herself from the kitchen. "Why am I even hearing this?" she thought.

The girl stopped and experimentally walked back to the kitchen to see if the sounds would lower again. And they did. She looked at the wooden back door of the house which was at the back of the kitchen. The door had a big, square window at the top part of it but the little girl was too short to see anything outside except for the rain. She walked over to the tall door and stared at the window for a few seconds thinking whether she should open it or not. The sound of grass being pulled out of the ground was enough to trigger her curiosity. As silently and as slowly as she could, she opened the door only to find that nothing was there.

The forest was surrounding the backyard but something seemed off. It felt like something was staring at her side, so she looked around for the source of the weird feeling. It was raining like crazy but she didn't care, being wet felt better than being stared at. Suddenly, she realized that the sounds in her head had stopped. But as she realized that, her eyes fell upon two big, blue orbs that reflected the moonlight that peaked from behind the rain clouds. They were hiding behind some trees in the treeline, staring at the girl while she quickly recognized the two beautiful eyes.

That magnificent white horse walked out of the trees and into the open backyard. Its fur looked smooth and glimmered in the faint light like a seal's. Any water that landed on its back seemed to not annoy the animal, as it didn't shake any of it off (or it just new it'd be in vain since it was still raining). It stopped a few meters away from her, looking as friendly as the first time they met, silently luring her towards it. The girl gestured for it to go away, "Go back, I don't want my parents to wake up!", she whisper-yelled, though the rain drowned out her voice. It didn't move from its stance, it just flicked its tail to the side and continued to stare at her.

"Just go!" the girl yelled, using the same gesture and beating the rain's volume. The horse's ears perked up before they went flat against its head. It swiftly turned around to walk back into the forest. It seemed sad, disappointed or even defeated while walking away; its pace slow and its head down. It disappeared behind the trees it came out of just as the storm stopped, leaving behind small puddles of water which were slowly absorbed into the ground, turning it into mud. She walked back in the house, closing the door and quickly ran into her room.

It was Sunday, no school or any chores to do. But there was homework that had to be done because she hadn't done any of it.She knew that if her parents found out, she would be in big trouble so she quickly pulled her books out of her school bag. There was Math, History, English and Religious Education, boring stuff that had to be done. In Math she had two problems that were easy, she finished them under ten minutes. In History she had to learn the twelve gods of Greek mythology, nothing difficult. Then in English, she had to write an essay and fill up gaps in an exercise οn the book. Religious Education was the one lesson she never studied, it was too boring to learn about what Christians were doing in the first century AD.

"What a great day", she sarcastically grumbled out loud, "First the sounds and now my homework", she continued.

Looking at the tree-themed clock on the wall, it was six. She had been studying for forty-five minutes straight just to finish her homework in time. After a couple of seconds, a pair of feet gently hit the ground and the door opened. It was her dad who stepped out of the master bedroom and walked down the short hallway that passed from the girl's room and to the kitchen that was a couple steps diagonally away from the end of the hallway. The little girl heard her father's footsteps and faked that she was asleep just in case he wanted to check to see if she's asleep (even though the scattered books would sell her out). Thankfully he didn't go in her room.

She decided to get up after a short amount of time. Her parents were both in the kitchen ready for breakfast. Even though it was Sunday, her mother would wake her up at 8 o'clock out of habit; "You have to be an early bird", she would say. It was almost 8AM. She hesitantly got up, not wanting her mum to come wake her up and see the mess in her room. Not even bothering to clean up, she walked to the kitchen and was greeted by her parents.