p r o l o g u e.

Thunder sounded softly in the distance as I sat there mesmerised at the moonlight shining through my bedroom window. Breathing slowly, my vision cleared, I took in the peace surrounding the night air. The only time I felt peace. It's an odd sensation. An unworldly feeling you can't feel forever.

I couldn't even remember how I got here. This calm place. My life was restless. Always has been. Always will be. It would never not be restless in this life, but I will pass through it eventually.

Carefully, I stepped over my sleeping brothers and moved along the hard floorboards soundlessly not wanting to wake them up. I settled myself on the window sill, bringing my knees to my chest staring out into the world. Shortly, the rain poured lightly down to the concrete ground. Yawning, I pivoted my head slightly down to see the long drop from our apartment.

Falling was such a strange feeling too. You can imagine the wind rushing past you and how your body hopelessly and gracefully passes through the air. That rush of adrenaline that races through your veins.

It's thrilling.

I turned my head at my brothers sighing.

But after all that rush, after you fall, the adrenaline runs out. The thrill is gone. And with that, the pain hits you at once. You hit the ground with such force that your breath is pulled out of your lungs strongly. There's nothing graceful about that. There's nothing thrilling about that.

Ultimately, it leads to your burning death and I wasn't going to leave them. I couldn't leave my brothers. They were my power source. My life's source. They kept my heart beating. Without them, I'd have no one. I'd be nobody.

I'd just be the girl with the abusive parents.

I jerked the window open and extended my hand out. To feel the light drops of the clear rain. Just to feel the sense of touch. Just to feel the coldness against my warm skin. Just to remind myself, I was still a soulful yet heartless human being.

Rather soon, I shut it and headed back to my bed to sleep. Only to leave this rare, out of the ordinary atmosphere and wake up to the chaotic life I were used...