Chapter 25

Third person POV

Giggles and laughter sounded from the beach causing some to turn their heads and catch a glimpse. And when they did they saw a girl wearing a blissful smile while her hair was picked up by the wind. The grin plastered on her fair skin was a genuine one and the source of her happiness was none other then a boy. A boy with raven black her and stormy blue eyes.

Strangers who pass along would envy and crave the joy on the girls face. Ryker entertained Rylee, at first yes it was for pity but he found himself wearing an amused smile whenever her giggles erupted from her mouth. He knew he was in trouble when the sound of her laughter danced along with his heart.

"Cole really did that?" A shocked smile found the surface on Rylees amused face. Ryker figured he'd share some stories about his best friends childhood.

"Mhmmm." He nodded. He told jokes but she seemed more fond of hearing about her brothers. So he caught her up on everything they'd been up to, from twelfth birthday party's to soccer matches he knew it all.

"I know you weren't really around that far but did you speak to my mom much?" Her hopeful eyes looked up and begged for a yes.

"Yeah Mrs Evans? we talked. She looked exactly like you." A kind smile spread across his cherry lips. Rylee received the compliment and blushed because looking like Lilian Evans was a compliment. Lilian had long sandy brown hair with faint gold highlights. Not only that but she had curves and legs for days. But most of all Rylee inherited Lilians kindness and purity. Rylee cursed her mother's innocence and gullible essence, that unfortunately gave both of them the ability to trust Elliot.

"You have her smile and eyes." It took everything in Ryker not to stare at her beauty.

"Thank you." She said sheepishly, now blushing ferociously under all the compliments, Ryker chuckled at this.

"What about you do you look like your parents?" Rylee asks which made Ryker shift uncomfortably in the sand.

"I have my mothers dark hair and from my father I guess I took his arrogance and blue eyes." He laughed it off. What he really wished to say was he took nothing from the monsters who raised him but truth be told he was afraid he took it all. Rylee sensed the hidden bitterness in his voice and nodded pushing the subject away. But before it was completely gone she decided to get one last word out.

"We aren't our parents." She assured him.

"What?" He blinked.

"We aren't our parents. We can choose our own path I guess is what I'm saying." She shrugged.

"Thank you" a small weight was lifted off his shoulders and hen he looked at her like there was something worth looking at. Like she mattered.

Those kids were nothing like their parents.

******

So the two walked home and talked about everything and anything until they finally reached their final destination for the day.

"You look a bit tired you should get some rest?" Ryker suggested , as he noticed her falling posture and droopy eyes. She nodded and headed off too sleep.

The boy sighed feeling tired himself and was about to go to sleep when something on his counter caught his eye. A small note written 'Rylee' on it.

~here, I thought you might like this.
~Cole.

It was an out dated iPhone five with cracks running across the screen, surprisingly it turned on and the wallpaper was a picture of Rylee and a boy. A boy with blond hair and green eyes. there was a few messages from a Lily and a few missed calls.

In Rykers mind Rylee was happy here with him , more than she could ever be with that boy in the picture or with Cole. Cole just dumped her in the middle of nowhere for him to pick up the pieces.

Ryker was not his father but some habits just die hard.

So he put the phone into his pocket, crushed the note into the garbage and headed off to bed. Rylees words 'we aren't our parents' ringing through his head the whole time.

but in the end, his greed won and he was not giving that phone back.

————————————————————————————————————

A/N

Hiii again!!!

Hope you kinda enjoyed the chapter? Like plz let me know feedback rlly helps :)

Oliver's aesthetic is coming soon ig he was too good of a character to be completely...cut off 🙄😂

Anyways have a good day and if you want to, VOTE and COMMENT ❤️❤️