ii. girls, gays, and theys

( warning — use of slurs )

  IT WAS CALM IN THE MCMASTER HOUSEHOLD AS ANNE AND HAI MCMASTER sat in the living room watching a movie, until the floor above them started to shake slightly. They didn't even blink, used to their daughter's habit of pacing. It stopped for a moment and then began again.

  "It's fine, you're fine," Daisy mumbled to her self as she walked in circles around her room. The headphones in her ears blasting glee music as she pictured herself singing in an alternate reality where she was completely calm all the time and possessed musical talent— which she does not. Her daydream was interrupted by the sound of her phone ringing loudly through her headphones causing her to cringe before she answers, "Hello?"

"What are you worrying about?" Juliet's voice travelled through the phone.

"I— How did you know I was worrying?"

"I can sense it in the air. We're best friends, we are connected mentally. I know what your gonna say before you even say it!" She swore and all that could be heard was a a lot of rustling and then the sound of the phone hitting the floor. "Yeah, I'm outside and I can see is you pacing through your window. Also, your mom must have got a new garden gnome and it has a smug fucking face."

Daisy laughed at her friends antics, her worry slowly moving itself to the back of her mind. Her mom has had this obsession with garden gnomes every since she watched Gnomeo & Juliet a few years ago— she owns thirty-one total. It's embarrassing and amusing (more so embarrassing), but most people don't know where she lives except for her close friends so she's fine.

  "Ow! What the fuck?!"

  "Oh, Miguel is here too." Juliet snorted as the boy fell just like she did. "That's what you get for laughing at me. Anyways, we're coming up!" Daisy walked towards her window to open it, watching in amusement as her friend did a ninja like somersault on the lawn, followed by Miguel who just walked.

Daisy moved to sit on her bed as she waiting, listening to her two friends argue as they climbed up the side of her house. They've known Miguel for about a month and they've all got along really well. Juliet found out recently that she lives in the same apartment building as the new boy, so it's just progressed from there.

"Oh my God! Help me!" Miguel shouted, startling Daisy as he held onto the window sill for dear life. "Why are your hands on my ass?!"

"I'm pushing you into the room?! You just asked for my help?"

"I know— Agh!" With one more big push, Miguel face planted on the pink fuzzy carpet, "I'm never doing that again."

"Hey, Day!" Juliet pushed herself into the room, hopping over the boy on the floor to sit beside her best friend. "We should do something tonight."

"... It's a Sunday."

"That's what I said," Miguel mumbled, taking a seat on the other side of Daisy.