11. Talk of blood worth

"You guys are engaged??" I gasped.

"Yeah," Said Kim and Blaise in synch. They were sitting on the same couch, with an enormous space in between them. 

"But...you're both thirteen."

Jason came into the common room with a sack of all flavored beans. "Weird, isn't it?" He put one bean in his mouth, which was followed by an ill, twisted expression on his face. "How children are forced to marry to continue the 'pure' bloodline."

Blaise looked at him. "Your mother ran off with a mudblood. You have no say in our tradition, filth." He spits every word out with despise.

"His mother is from the house of Black, he's probably more pure-blooded than you are.,"Kim spat at her fiancé.

Draco entered the common room with bandages on his wounded arm. The moment I came in his line of vision, he only said one thing.

"Ugh."

Was he really like that? Romantic, wasn't he?

"I hope you feel satisfied, Draco. An innocent animal will die because of you." Kim spoke up, taking the attention of everyone in the common room.

"That beast almost killed me," He flaunted with his bandaged arm. "Ahh" He flinched as if his arm hurt. As if.

Pansy came to his side, she was all over him, showering the twat with concern.

"Are you alright, Dray?"

"Ohh quit whining Malfoy." Kim let out annoyed. "You make all the Slytherins look bad. Because of snakes like you and your friends, the rest of us have to deal with the backlash." She kept herself composed, but her words were filled with poison.

"What are you talking about, Grigori?" Draco asked her. "If anything, we pure-bloods bring pride to our house."

A nasty tension emerged in the common room. The students split in two main groups that I would like to call: Team racists and Team decent human beings. I quickly changed seats to be closer to Kim and her group. 

"Because of you we get booed at the sorting!"

"My friends don't want to talk to me because of my house."

"My family is ashamed of me!"

"Everyone thinks we are like you!"

"You should all be proud of being Slytherins!" Draco shot back.

"We are cunning, loyal and ambitious. Slytherins know how to achieve their goals one way or another, no matter what or who stands in your way." He spoke with sincerity. Draco glared at the group in front of him. "You all lack pride. That's the problem."

I stared at the boy who began so inspiring but ended his speech in a way that gave a nasty after-taste.

"How can we have pride for a house who is notorious for its blood supremacy? When we are all shamed of the choice that the sorting hat made. When it is you," I pointed to Draco and his possey, "who keeps this negative image of our house alive."

"Keep out of this, Potter!" Pansy yelled at me. "Why are you even here?"

"She's just as much of a Slytherin as any other student in this house." Zofia commented. Jason who was standing next to me put his hand on my shoulder.