6. The dementor attack

Sorry for not posting in a longggg time. I was going through a break-up and I had to take time to reflect. Let the story continue...

The rain thickened as the train sped yet farther north; the windows were now a solid, shimmering grey, which gradually darkened until lanterns flickered into life all along the corridors and over the luggage racks. The train rattled, the rain hammered, the wind roared as the train started to slow down.

"We're almost at Hogwarts," said Kimberly as she gazed through the now completely black window.

"That can't be right," said Jason checking his watch.

The train was getting slower and slower. As the noise of the pistons fell away, the wind and rain sounded louder than ever against the windows.

I got up to look into the corridor, as I was the closest to the door. All along the carriage, heads were sticking curiously out of their compartments.

The train came to a stop with a jolt, and distant thuds and bangs told them that luggage had fallen out of the racks. Then, without warning, all the lamps went out and we were plunged into total darkness.

"Did the train broke down?" I asked in an undertone. The temperature dropped rapidly.

"A magical train doesn't just break down," said Kimberly with annoyance. We all started bickering at this point. Zofia who hasn't said much this whole ride shrieks as she abruptly pointed towards the compartment door. And there it stood, a silhouette of a cloaked figure on the other side of the compartment, in the corridor. It was moving slowly in a flowing manner. We all huddled close to each other and pressed ourselves against the window. As far away from the thing as possible.

I could feel my heart bonking in my chest and my sweat breaking out. The fear I was feeling was unbelievable. I clutched my hand over my mouth to mute the whimpers. Sofia was crying softly next to me as she took my hand and squeezed it. I did the same to Kimberly as she did to Jason. The figure was facing the door. My whimpers turned into wails. The door was sliding in a sickening way as the figure was opening the door ever so slowly. Then the temperature rose again, the lights went on and the figure was gone.

We stayed where we were, pressed together against the window, terrified and bewildered at what just happened.

It was me who broke the silence. "What the bloody hell just happened?"

Jason opened the door and looked down the corridor. "It's gone. Everyone's coming out now." He huffed out in relief. He was very pale and had some sweat shimmering on his forehead.

"That still didn't answer my bloody question, " I let out. "What the fuck was that?" Everyone kept quiet as they didn't have an answer.

"Just know that this doesn't happen every year." Zofia enlightened me. We except Jason were still holding hands, shaken of the incident. "But to answer your question I think that was a Dementor "

"A what?" I plead.

"Dementors are the guards of Azkaban, " explained Kimberly with a trembling voice. She turns her head slightly to the left to face me. "They're looking for your dad, bastard."

"Don't call me a bastard." I sat down on the seat again, avoiding eye contact with any of them. Just then the train started moving. The rest sat down as well.

Kimberly gazed out of the window into the darkness of the cold night.
"I won't" she whispered. "But the other Slytherins will, maybe even some Gryffindors."

That was the moment she turned to me. "After all, he is the reasons Lily and James Potter are six feet under."

I closed my eyes shut, bite the inside of my cheeks, everything to avoid making a fool of myself by crying.

We didn't talk much during the remainder of the journey. As no one was allowed to get out of their compartment for safety measures. At long last, the train stopped at Hogsmeade station, and there was a great scramble to get outside; owls hooted, cats meowed, and some kid's pet toad croaked loudly from under his hat. It was freezing on the tiny platform; rain was driving down in icy sheets.