8. I'm a Slytherin so apperantly I'm evil

I hurried to the end of the Slytherin table where my only associates were sitting. Keeping my expression neutral, not showing any sign of discomfort. I held my head high to ignore the hateful glares of the Gryffindors and the gossip of the Slytherins. I sat next to Jason with Kimberly and Sofia in front of us. They all looked surprised yet happy to have me.

"I'm so glad you're with us, Karma," said Jason happily. "Malfoy owes me ten galleons!"

Ten gallons came rolling towards Jason. He picked them up quickly and put them in his pocket. He turned his head towards a pale boy with platinum hair. He got a cocky smile on his face.

"Why thank you, dear cousin," Jason said in a joyous tone to the boy. "Told you she wouldn't be sorted into Gryffindor."

"Don't call me that you wanker!" Malfoy hissed at Jason. He started at our group in disgust, especially towards Jason. He glanced at me for a second before a girl who sat next to him tugged on his sleeve, begging for his attention.  Which he gave but not being all too happy to see her.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it's best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..."

Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business." He paused for a moment.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly, almost as if he targeted someone. "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the Dementors," he said.

Dumbledore paused again; he looked very seriously around the hall, and nobody moved or made a sound.

"On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause. A few clapped harder than the rest. Professor Lupin looked particularly shabby next to all the other teachers in their best robes. He looked sickly in some way and rather thin. He had light brown hair with light green eyes. But the most important thing was that he looked happy as if he wasn't in a long time.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued as the lukewarm applause for Professor Lupin died away. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

There was a grand applaud from all of the houses, mostly Gryffindor. I clapped along until the realization hit me that I was the only one who applauded at my table.

Well, I think that's everything of importance," said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!"

Dishes appeared magically on the table. There was so much that it overwhelmed me.

"Aren't you hungry?" Jason asked while eating a chicken breast. I stared down at my empty plate, ashamed for something so stupid.

"For the last thirteen years, I only ate rice with eggs and ham," I whisper to him, not wanting any other person to hear it. "I have trouble eating other things than that."

I expected him to laugh, make a joke out of it but he surprised me. He immediately took my plate and put a bit of everything on my plate and poured my goblet with juice. He settles the decent-sized meal in front of me.

"There is no rush to adjust. Just enjoy," he spoke in an undertone and continued with his meal. I pick up my fork and do as he says.

~~~

Dinner was over and it was time to go to bed. We all stand up to follow the prefects. As we wait to leave the great hall I spot Harry talking to Ron and Hermione. Hermione sees me and nudges the two boys to look in my direction. The moment Ron sees me he made a face and walked out of the door with his housemates, Hermione following close behind. Harry changes his view from the door to me and then back to the door. It looked as if he was debating on what to do. Eventually, he walked out with some Ravenclaws without saying goodbye.

"Don't take it too serious, Potter, " Kimberly stood next to me and saw it all. I kept my eyes on the exit as we were the last to leave.

"They're just tired, " I argued, not knowing who I was assuring at the moment.

"Too tired to say goodbye? Too tired to wave at you? Or too tired from booing eleven-year-olds who got sorted in Slytherin? " Kimberly scoffed,

"Why else would they do that?"

Kimberly simply shrugged, her eyes darkened in all seriousness. "For them, Slytherins are nothing but evil wizards who only care about blood status. In their eyes, you betrayed them by getting sorted in Slytherin."

"Looking back at it now that I'm older and apparently wiser I shouldn't have taken her words all too seriously. Maybe if I didn't I would've had a better relationship with Harry. Perhaps all of it would've turned out different in the end".