1

A/N
Hey everyone! This story takes place in a different reality and therefore has different elements to it than every day life. There is no modern tech (like electricity and internet). It is completely different than my other story. Definitely will be longer and a slow burn!! I understand that each reader has their own taste! Feel free to let me know your thoughts on this story!

This story has been edited :)

Clay's POV

Clay ran the same routine every day. He got out of bed and went out into the woods. He would hunt and get supplies. His routine was natural to him and he enjoyed doing it. His cat, Patches, followed him wherever he went.

Clay used to be commander in the Royal Guard for Emberfall. He used to be at the top of ranks and respected. He enjoyed being a part of a unit, but left after his best friend died. After his loss he left the guard with no notice. He claimed he was retiring even though he was still very young. He has spent two years grieving the loss of his friend and no longer thinks about his past life.

Clay now feeds his chickens and hunts deer and rabbit for a living. So he was surprised when he received a letter on his doorstep.

~

Clay walked up to his house, Patches trailing close behind. He saw a letter on the ground in front of his door. The cream envelope was trimmed with a gold outline and scarlet red lettering. He opened it carefully, his fingers tracing over the smooth parchment. It had been a while since he'd held something so delicate and pretty.

The letter read:

Dream,
You have been summoned to Emberfall to continue your duties toward the Royal Guard. The King has granted you enough time to grieve the loss of your friend. You are now being asked to serve as the personal guard for Prince George. I hope to see you at the castle soon.
Signed,
Wilbur
Head of the Royal Council

Clay glared at the letter. He noticed how he was addressed. Every guard or soldier has a name different than their real one to keep some anonymity. The name he was formally known as was Dream.

The letter didn't imply that there was much of a choice for him. He did miss being a commander, but a guard? He didn't like being bossed around, and to serve for Prince George? It just seemed like an insult. He remembers Prince George as being mischievous and overly arrogant. Clay had never interacted with him in person. He's only heard rumors, but he's seen Prince George from a distance and that was enough. Clay didn't want to be involved in any drama that Prince George would most likely pull him into.

He sighed and looked at Patches.

"Looks like we're going on a trip, girl." He leaned over and scratched her head.

Patches purred. She rubbed her head into his hand. Clay smiled and started packing for the trip ahead of him. He skinned the deer he brought home and put the meat in his icebox. Who knows when he'll come back.

Clay packed a light bag. He realized that he had no armor, he had left his at the castle all those years ago. Clay begrudgingly stuffed his pack with dried food, water, a second pair of clothes, food for Patches, and a few other items.

He walked out of his house and looked back at it. This place had become his home and now he was to leave for who knows how long. The men of Emberfall were required to serve five years as a part of the Royal Guard. He had spent two years with his bestfriend, Sapnap. Now he had three left.

If you were skilled enough you were asked to stay after the five years, but it was not required. Although, many men stayed in the Royal Guard just for the honor of serving their kingdom... and for the sizable salary that was given.

As Clay trekked through the woods he kept note of the beautiful sounds of nature. Once he reached the castle grounds, all he would hear would be royals fooling around, swords clashing from the training of soldiers, or petty squabbles. He scoffed at the thought of it.

It took Clay half a day to reach the outskirts of Emberfall. He stopped at the edges of the town where it was more quiet and ate an apple he packed. He could see the large castle from his position on a hill. Clay walked into the city and chucked his apple's remains into a bush. Most of the people of Emberfall were friendly and smiled at him. No one knew him, but since he was dressed like them they accepted him.

On the outskirts of Emberfall there were farmers and the more poor of the population. But, Emberfall was a wealthy city in general so no one was ever truly starving or in poverty.

Many people stared at Patches as he walked through the town. There were some pets here and there, but mainly farm animals and stray dogs. The children fawned over Patches and scratched her back. This made Clay smile. He looked around. Clay didn't miss the fact that many women were eyeing him in a way that made him feel slightly uncomfortable.

He knew the basics of what he looked like, but since he didn't have a mirror in his house he forgot about it. Clay knew he had green eyes and dirty blonde hair, but that was it. He hadn't the faintest idea of the specifics, other than a scar across the right side of his face. Clay ignored the staring eyes and quickened his pace.

As he made his way up the path towards the castle he noticed the change in atmosphere. The people gradually became more and more wealthy. Emberfall was a friendly kingdom, so most were nice. But some of the more pompous looked down on him with disdain. Clay didn't care what they thought. He just ignored them and pushed through the crowded streets towards the castle gates. He glanced at Emberfall's crest on the gates. It was the head of a dragon with two swords in an X below it.

As he approached the gate a guard he didn't recognize stopped him.

"Proof of identification or permission from the Royal Court is needed to enter," the guard said. He had blond hair and blue eyes and Clay noticed a gold chain around his neck under his armor.

He handed the guard the letter he'd received from Wilbur. The guard took it and grunted his assent. He opened the gate and let Clay in.

"Hold on." The guard stopped him and pointed to Patches. "Animals aren't allowed."

"What? Oh. She's trained," Clay responded.

"Doesn't matter."

Clay frowned. "She's just like any other trained dog or horse. She helps me with my tasks."

The guard looked skeptical, but let Clay pass.

Clay sighed in relief, he didn't know what he would do without Patches. She was his comfort animal and didn't just help him with tasks, but also with his emotional stability.

He was slightly surprised that the guard didn't recognize him. When Clay was commander everyone knew his name. The guard must be new, he thought.

The guard didn't bother to guide him through the castle, but Clay already knew his way around so he was fine.

As he walked around, all Clay could think about was the memories he had made with Sapnap. He squeezed his eyes closed and pushed the thought away.

Clay made his way to Wilbur's quarters. He admired the regal walls covered in paintings and ornate trimming. Clay had forgotten how beautiful the castle was. It made him feel a little self conscious about his worn down pants and shirt. His leather boots made little noise as he approached Wilbur's office.

He knocked on Wilbur's door. A muffled "come in" was the response.

Clay opened the door and walked in.

Wilbur grinned. "Good to see you again, Dream."