14

Clay's POV

Clay snuck glances at George as they walked back to the castle. The sun shined down on his face, capturing all of George's charming features. The blue cornflower still sat behind his ear. Clay's stomach fluttered. He felt like a kid for some reason. Although Clay had never experienced these emotions before, he was kind of comforted by them.

"What are we doing now?" Clay asked, stomach still fluttering.

"Hmm. You decide. I chose to go to the market, so it's your turn."

"Okay... do you want to go see Patches?"

"Sure!" George exclaimed.

They snuck to Clay's room undetected by anyone. After all, they were still dressed like commoners and would probably be scolded for it.

Patches meowed in greeting. Clay bent down and scooped her up. He turned around to face George, but the Prince was walking to his bed. Clay watched as George flopped onto his bed and sighed dramatically.

"Rough day?" Clay asked, amused. He already knew the answer.

"You already know," George mumbled into the bed.

Clay chuckled and walked over. He sat on the edge of the bed and put Patches down. She leapt from Clay's arms and butted her head into George's.

"Wha—?" George muttered and turned his head. He smiled at Patches. George stroked her back. "I never knew I needed a cat until now." George said.

"Well, you have Patches now so there you go."

George hummed in answer. He sat up and took off his boots. He crisscrossed his legs and Patches curled up in his lap. Clay grinned softly. He took off his boots as well and sat crisscross facing George, their knees inches apart. They looked at each other for a moment. George's eyes darted to Clay's lips and he leaned forward.

Patches meowed in protest from his lap and George sat up, surprised. "Sorry Patches."

She jumped out of his lap and walked towards her food bowl. She meowed loudly at Clay. Clay got up and gave her food. When he returned, George was leaning against his headboard. Clay sat beside him. They sat in a comfortable silence.

Clay shifted his seating and his hand brushed against George's fingers slightly. George turned to face Clay.

"Hey, Clay?"

"Yeah?" Clay angled his head towards George and met his gaze.

"Oh nothing. I just wanted you to face me so I could look at you better." George murmured.

Clay flushed slightly. His lips parted as he studied George. A lock of brown hair had fallen across the Prince's forehead. Clay leaned forward and reached up to brush it back into place. His hand lingered a moment before he dropped it back down.

Clay went to sit back, but George grabbed his shirt and pulled him forward. George brought his lips to Clay's and they kissed. Clay held the Prince's soft face in his hands as he kissed George deeply.

George dragged his teeth over Clay's lip as he pulled away, all too soon. George gave Clay a small grin. You don't know what you do to me George, Clay thought. Clay laid down on his side and George followed suit. They were facing each other and Clay admired George's pretty features for the countless time that day.

George placed his hand on Clay's chest over his heart. Clay held the hand to his chest. The Prince could feel his heartbeat. Clay closed his eyes as he listened to George breath. He felt George's fingers twitch slightly against his chest.