20

~6 days later~

Clay's POV

Clay woke up abruptly days later. He sat up and looked around wildly. Where am I? He groaned and fell back against the bed, his body screaming at him. His eyes searched the room looking for a familiar person or place. He looked down at his torso, wrapped with bandages. He lifted the cloth on his stomach and flinched. Clay looked away from the large scar where the nail once was. The flesh was gnarled and rough, someone sealed my wound, who?

A woman walked in and Clay tensed. She looked at him and her mouth dropped. She walked towards Clay with a grin on her face. Clay lifted his hands up frantically.

"Who are you?! Where am I?" he asked.

The woman stopped walking forward. She looked at him calmly. "You're in Emberfall's castle infirmary and I'm the healer who's helped you."

Clay slowly relaxed. He took a breath and remembered what happened. He lifted a hand to his face and flinched at the tender flesh.

"The Prince will be glad to see that you're awake." She walked to him and sat on a stool.

"George?" Clay whispered hopefully.

She smiled softly and nodded. "He's barely left your side. He's in a meeting with the Royal Council right now. It should be almost done."

Clay closed his eyes and exhaled. He opened his eyes and peered outside. It seemed to be midday.

"How long have I..." Clay trailed off.

"Almost a week," she stated. Clay's eyes widened. "Your body was badly injured and all the physical and mental exhaustion of what you went through really took a toll. You have several burn wounds on your back, an arrow wound—"

"I know my injuries," Clay cut her off. He didn't want to talk about them.

The healer nodded, her eyes full of understanding. "I'm so—"

The door opened and a familiar voice asked, "How's he doing tod—"

George stopped when he saw Clay. His eyes filled with tears and he let out a sob. He ran to Clay's side and embraced him gently.

"You're okay," George whispered as if he couldn't believe it.

The healer left the room quietly, leaving Clay and George alone. George pulled away and sat down on a chair. His gaze never left Clay, waiting for him to say something.

Clay looked away, ashamed. He didn't deserve George's care. He failed to stay at the Prince's side and almost let him die. And even worse, the enemy was still out there.

Two soft hands gripped Clay's hand. He looked at George.

"You're okay," George repeated more firmly.

Clay didn't respond. He held George's gaze evenly. His thoughts drifted to the campsite in the forest. The Princess brought her dagger to Clay's face. She dug the sharp point into his-

Clay blinked. He shoved the memory back.

George's brows furrowed when he didn't reply. "Clay?"

"Yes?" Clay mumbled. He cleared his throat, he needed to be strong for George.

His face softened in relief at the response, "I'm glad you're awake. It's been so long since we've spoken." George said tenderly.

The dagger tore open his flesh as it ran down Clay's forehead. He screamed in pain. The blade continued down his cheek as the Princess taunted him.