7

Clay's POV

"Oh yeah? And where's that?" Clay asked curiously.

"You'll see."

Clay followed the Prince. He watched him walk with purpose and his cape only added to that effect. In fact, Clay's own cape made him feel more honor and pride.

They walked into the stables.

"This is your favorite place?" Clay asked.

"No, you idiot. It's only a step along the way. We need horses to get to our destination," Prince George said sarcastically.

The two walked down the stable aisles. Several horses poked their heads out curiously to get a look at the visitors. Prince George pet almost every one of them. He scratched their noses and stroked their cheeks. Clay stared at the Prince in shock, he had never seen Prince George like this before.

The Prince turned to look at Clay with raised eyebrows. "Do you not want to pet them?"

"It is not part of my duties," Clay responded lamely.

Prince George scoffed. "Whatever. Do as you please."

Clay could see the Prince's disappointment as he continued stroking the chestnut mare in front of him. Clay didn't want to disappoint the Prince so he came closer to the Prince and the mare. He reached his hand out and pet the mare's neck.

Prince George hummed in approval. "She's my favorite. I would have chosen to ride her today, but if you can't tell she has a little one on the way."

The Prince gestured to the mare's full stomach. The mare nickered softly and swished her tail. Prince George smiled fondly.

"I didn't know you liked horses," Clay said softly.

"There's a lot you don't know about me— and there's a lot I don't know about you."

Clay looked at the Prince who was studying his face, in particular, his scar.

"Well, we will be spending more time together now that I'm your full time guard," Clay said with a shrug of his shoulders.

The Prince considered this statement and nodded. "Let's go, we have a place to get to."

He gave the mare one last caress and walked down the stable aisle. The mare huffed her dissatisfaction. Clay chuckled quietly and followed the Prince. A stable hand gave them the reins to two horses who were already tacked up.

The Prince got a white mare and Clay got a grey gelding with a pack on his back.

Prince George mounted his ride with ease and smirked at Clay. "When was the last time you rode a horse?"

Clay thought for a moment. "I don't remember. A couple years I guess."

The Prince grinned mischievously, "You're going to be sore after today."

Clay sighed, it was true, and he was still sore from the sword play with Punz. He got on his horse slightly slower than the Prince, but he didn't care.

"Are you ready?" The Prince asked excitedly.

"Ready for what?"

"To have fun for once in your life!" Prince George giggled.

Clay's heart warmed at the cute sound the Prince made. Wait, what. Why did I just feel like that? Clay shook his head annoyed and shoved the feeling away. He had to focus on his duty, to protect the Prince.

The Prince looked at him with a twinkle in his eye.

"Where are w—"

Clay was interrupted by the Prince urging his mount forward past Clay.

"Oh no! I can't hear you. I guess you'll have to tell me when we get there!" The Prince shouted over his shoulder as he galloped off into the forest.

Clay grinned slowly. He realized he didn't remember the last time he had actual fun. He shook his head excitedly and galloped off after Prince George.

Clay's gelding gained on the Prince's mare with ease. He rode alongside the Prince. Prince George looked at him with a joyous expression. The wind tore at their hair and capes. Clay gave his real smile to the Prince. The Prince's eyes widened and Clay laughed. Clay shook his head and looked forward. The forest was opening into a meadow.

Their horses flew through the tall grass and Clay savored the moment. He tried to imprint the feeling of the wind on his face and the smell of the fresh air in his nose. He closed his eyes for a moment and smiled.

He opened them a moment later to look at the Prince who was staring at him with awe in his eyes. The Prince looked ahead and pointed to a lone tree in the middle of the meadow. He mouthed, "Race?"

Clay nodded. He pushed his horse faster and so did Prince George. Clay knew he would win with the faster horse, but he held his mount back slightly so the Prince could ride past him.

They breathlessly stopped at the tree.

The Prince looked at Clay with a glare. "You let me win. That's not fair!"

Clay shrugged and said jokingly, "I can't hurt the Prince's ego."

Prince George scoffed and dismounted. Clay did the same. They tied the horses to a handmade post near the tree. Clay assumed that the Prince made it, since it was a seemingly unvisited spot.

Clay was confused as to what they were supposed to do in the middle of nowhere.

The Prince saw his expression and laughed. "Don't worry, I'm not stupid. I packed lunch."

He gestured to Clay's gelding. Clay remembered the pack on his ride's back. He pulled it off and set it on the ground next to the tree. Prince George knelt down in the grass and opened the pack.

He pulled out a blanket and handed it to Clay. "You set the blanket down and I'll get the food."

Clay nodded and spread the blanket on the ground under the shade of the large tree. He sat down with his legs forward and leaned back on his hands. He looked at the meadow in front of them. Clay admired the shades of greens and blues, and the multitudes of flowers.

The Prince came over a moment later and sat to the right of Clay, setting a basket between them.

Clay could feel the Prince's eyes studying him. "I can see why you like it here," Clay said without looking at him.

The Prince said nothing for once. This surprised Clay, usually he always had something to say. Clay tilted his head to look at Prince George with his eyebrows raised in a question.

The Prince was staring at him, his mouth slightly parted and his expression soft. He didn't make Clay feel uncomfortable, just a little confused. He was confused with himself. He didn't know why his stomach was fluttering or why he wanted to brush away a loose lock of hair across the Prince's forehead.

Clay's mouth twitched up when he noticed several leaf and grass pieces in the Prince's hair. Prince George looked at Clay's mouth at the movement. Clay's lips parted involuntarily. He saw the Prince bite his lower lip and look away. Clay plucked a strand of grass out of the ground and twirled it between his fingers.

Clay heard the basket being opened and he looked up at the noise. The Prince handed him a sandwich and a water jug. Clay accepted it and the two ate in silence. Clay watched the distant grass sway in the breeze. He could feel the Prince's gaze on him as he ate, but he said nothing.

The silence shared between the two wasn't awkward, but rather tentative and slightly unsure.

Clay finished his sandwich and looked at the Prince. He was looking at Clay with a question in his eyes.

"Prince George— Did you want to ask me something?" Clay broke the silence.

Prince George looked at his scar and nodded.

"Where did you get that?" He whispered.