15

Clay's POV

George whipped his head up. "Stop it."

"I'll do it."

George's shoulders slumped down in defeat. He gave Clay a desperate look. "Why are you doing this?"

Clay gave him a sad smile, "It's what has to be done."

George looked away, a tear falling down his cheek. Clay didn't go to comfort him, he couldn't- not now, not after what he said.

Patches leaped out of Clay's arms and went to comfort the Prince. George pet her appreciatively.

"I'm gonna miss you Patches," George mumbled.

He got up and walked to Clay, stopping several feet away. "Let's go see my father then."

Clay looked at him surprised. He was glad the Prince was going to let him go, but he'd thought it would take more convincing.

"We should change first," George muttered.

Clay nodded and went into the bathroom and changed. He came out in full armor, his sword sheathed at his side. He straightened his ran-through hair and followed the Prince to his room. Clay waited outside the door and a few minutes later George came out in his usual attire.

Clay didn't look at him too long, if he did, he would start to regret his decision. They walked to the throne room silently and found the King.

King Philza looked at them in surprise. "This is an unexpected, but not unappreciated, visit. What brings you here George?"

"I— uh, I..." George hesitated. He glanced at Clay, who was looking at the King. "I would like to be assigned a new personal guard."

"What?! Why?" King Philza exclaimed.

"I would just like a new one," George said more quietly.

"Is Dream not good enough for you? He's the best our guard has to offer George, I'm sure you know that."

George swallowed, not looking away from the King. "I do."

"Then why do you want a new guard?" King Philza asked curiously.

"I uh..." George scrambled for an excuse, "I would just prefer someone else to guard me."

The King narrowed his gaze, confused. "I'm not going to give you a different guard George. Dream's the best for you and no one else has his skill level. However, I can give you a different guard for one day, just so you can see how much better Dream is."

Clay almost snorted at the statement, the King was really raising his ego.

"Okay. Thank you, father," George grumbled.

"I'll send for a guard and he'll take over for Dream immediately until this time tomorrow," King Philza said.

The Prince nodded. He and Clay bowed and left.

Once outside Clay exclaimed, "One day?! George, you were supposed to take me permanently off!"

George looked at him evenly. "You heard my father, he wasn't budging."

"You could've given a better excuse!"

"Not one that wouldn't have put you in prison."

Clay paused and replied, "I would rather be in prison than ruin your life."

George glared at him. "You're not ruining my life Clay. You've made it better in every way, and now you're making it worse by leaving me."

Clay opened his mouth to reply, but he saw the new guard coming. Clay nodded to him and the new guard smirked. Clay assumed he was proud to have been chosen over Clay to guard the Prince. Clay glanced at George before turning around. He didn't miss the look of sadness and longing on the Prince's face.