Chapter 15

"What the heck are you thinking Max? We can't just leave everyone there by themselves!" Syria yelled at him once we got out of the Night Crawlers territory.

Max didn't reply, but just grinned as big as he could.

"Max?" I tried to get his attention. He turned towards me the smile still as big as ever. "What are you thinking exactly?"

Max put his arm around me but turned to look straight ahead. "I was thinking I had a great plan and that plan involves us making a trip back there. What do you think?"

I was actually thinking about hitting myself for not even realizing a plan like that. "I-I think that's a great plan."

He turned to me again, his face still displaying the biggest smile there was. "Great. I was hoping you would." He turned around, taking glancing at everyone else. "So, where are we going to sleep tonight? I mean I would like to have the group together since there's so few of us."

"What about my house? I mean it's big enough to house all of us. And there's plenty of blankets for everyone and-"

"No. We can't do that," Thomas spoke up. "I don't know much about these cannibals, but I'm pretty sure they will have us surrounded since they would figure that's where we would go."

"But we have to go back. My cat is there. I want to take her with us," I said.

"Okay, we can still get your cat. But what about after? Where is there we can go for coverage where they would most likely not find us?"

I thought about my cabin on the beach. Of course the Night Crawlers know where it's at, it's in the open and they painted their symbol on it. It wouldn't be too safe, but it would be shelter. I also thought about the cavern Mom showed me. None of them know about it she had told me. Only her and I and possibly Dad by this point. She might guess we were there, but at least they wouldn't search for us. "I got it." I told them my ideal places and they agreed to go to caverns; wanting to see them and thinking it would be more safe.

We stopped by my house and everyone followed me in my room.

"I really like your room. I didn't get to tell you that last time," Lily said, looking around my bedroom at my belongings.

Syria grabbed my book she was reading that she forgot to grab quite some time ago. "Oh my gosh I forgot about it! Can I still read it?"

I giggled. "Of course you can. I'm fact, you guys grab want you want to take to look at. I only have these books anyways I brought from the cabin. Hey there's Midnight!"

I picked up my startled cat and placed her in my arms. I wondered how she didn't starve, but then I remembered Mom setting out a huge food and water supply for her before all this crazy stuff started to happen. Before my family was ripped apart for the second time. I tried to shake the thought from my head, concentrating on my friends and my black cat. "Okay we can go now," I said to everyone.

No one was really listening except Max and Aidan. They both nodded and tried to get everyone else's attention who was focused on my book pile beside my bed.

"Guys we can take the books with us. And do we have any food we can also take?" Aidan asked.

I thought for a moment before remembering what all we had. "We have fruits and vegetables from the garden, and we have some freshly picked both fruits and vegetables in the kitchen, since I'm guessing we don't want meat to attract wild animals."

Aidan and Max nodded at me, then went out to gather the food, pulling Thomas and Joshua with them. The girls were now transfixed on the floor, each had a book in their hands, engrossed in it.