Chapter 6

I glanced around at all the people. There were at least 50 people here on this island, none of which looked like my father.

"What's the surprise, Max?" I was getting anxious to know now.

"Hold on. You'll see soon enough. CHIEF! WE HAVE A NEW SURVIVOR!" Max screamed out past the campers to a women sitting high above everyone else.

Her face was hidden by the blanket of trees and the shadows that they projected onto the ground that I couldn't tell many features about her. I saw her green eyes glowing, and her long brunette hair but that is it.

"Come, girl. Tell me...how did you end up on my island?" The women's voice was so smooth and soothing to me. It was a voice that could calm me down so quickly. Only one other person's voice could make me that way-my mother.

But, it couldn't be my mother! She vanished in a sea storm 10 years ago...how could this be possible?

I approached the woman in trepidation. My heart was pounding and my hands were becoming sweaty. I got closer to her and I could see her features better.

"M-mom?" I stammered.

"Samantha?!" The woman answered me.

It was her!! I found my mother! But, how could this be? My mother. Of all people. I was overcome with happiness I felt like crying.

Mom embraced me with a long, warm hug. I couldn't tell if she was crying or not, but I know I was. I couldn't tell if my tears were happy tears, or angry tears, or sad tears; or even a mixture of all three. I just knew I was more than happy to have my mother back.

Mom let go of me and turned to the rest of the tribe. "My fellow Villagers, this is not a new person that has come to join us, for it is my long lost daughter!" The crowd exploded in cheers and claps.

"Sunshine, where is your father?" Mom looked at me with both fear and wonder in her eyes.

"I don't know. My cabin on the boathouse somehow got separated from the rest of the boat. I haven't seen Dad since the sea storm."

Mom looked around frantically and then grabbed my arm, pulling me closer to her, whispering in my ear. "Okay, Sam. You have to come with me."

I was confused but followed. Max and Midnight came with me, I didn't think Mom would mind. As we made our way there, I asked Max what the surprise was.

"This was the surprise. I just had a feeling that you were Chief's daughter. You two look so alike and act the same, too."

"Well thank you, Max. This would have to be one of the best presents I have ever recieved." I was so happy that I gave Max a kiss on the cheek. I could see him smiling when I turned back around and started to walk again.

We made our way through the rows of houses (more like huts) to the end of the road to a more enormous hut. My mother must live here. She welcomed all three of us inside.

"When did this happen, Sam?"

I tried to answer her quickly, but I couldn't remember for sure. "Not very long, not even a week."

Mom paced around the floor, looking at the ceiling as if it had all the answers to her questions. I wish life was that simple. Look up and see every answer to every question you had.

"Maxon, where did you find Samantha?"

To my surprise, Max answered rather quickly. "The Northeast Beach, Ma'am."

Mom continued to look up and started to mumble to herself. "Please send for at least 10 troops to the Northeast Beach. Have them head out on the sea looking for a giant boat-or possibly the remains of one."

Max nodded, then followed my mother's orders and proceeded out the door, closing it behind him.

"Mom, are you like the Queen here or something?" I asked her.

"Yes, but no. I am more of a leader than anything. Oh honey, I have missed you so much," Mom hugged me once more.

"Yeah, I thought you died! I'm so happy that you're alive, Mom." As I said that, Mom let go of me and we sat down on her couch-well I think it was a couch.

"We can't catch up 10 years of events, but we can try," Mom told me.

"Well, there's not much I have done besides fish and be with Dad," I said with a little chuckle at the end.

Mom laughed at my reply and went on talking. "I'm guessing you are wondering what happened to me during that sea storm, correct?"

"Yes."

"Well, when the storm hit 10 years ago, I was trying to make sure the boat was going to be fine. I was leaned over the railings and a humongous wave hit where I was standing, taking me back to the ocean with it. I somehow ended up on the Island, followed by more and more people over the course of about 6 months. We decided since we weren't getting away from this Island, we would just have to make do with everything we did have, so we made a small colony in the heart of the forest."

I was still in awe at the story of how my mother vanished and was alive. She was alive. It still hasn't sunk in that she was actually here again, full of life. Full of stories I never got to hear her tell, and knowledge I never had the chance to learn. I was so eager to hear everything she had to say.

I think Mom could tell I was getting sleepy, as she told me I could spend the night here. I nodded at her and picked up Midnight, following my mother deeper into the heart of her home.

We finally came to a stop at my room where I would spend the night in.

For a hut, this room was huge. It had all the necessary items a human would need, plus even extra, luxurious things.

I almost literally crawled in bed, since I was so tired. Mom came by and kissed my forehead. "We will talk in the morning, okay?"

"Okay, I love you Mom."

"I love you too, my Sunshine."

Mom closed the door, and shortly after, I was out like a light with no more flame. My flame was gone for now.

~~~

I dreamed of the night I lost my mother -for about the hundredth time. The disaster was still as scary as it was when it first occurred. I awoke with a start.

"Mom! Mom!" I yelled out into the night.

To my surprise, my mother came running to my bedside, hugging me tight.

"I'm here, Sam. I'm here, everything is okay," my mother whispered ever so faintly to me.

That's all I wanted to here for the last 10 years-my mother's soft voice telling me she was with me.

I fell back to sleep, feeling safer than ever.