Chapter 1

"Mom! Mom!" I screamed my mother's name at the top of my lungs, only to be answered by the sound of silence. I forgot. Why was I such an idiot? Mom can't answer me back. She can never answer my plea for help ever again, because of that stupid sea storm.

Gosh I hate the ocean. I used to love it. I used to not be able to get away from it. That was the past, innocent me who thought everything was fine in the world. It turns out, life is sometimes an endless pit of torture. I hated everything about my life at this moment. Thanks sea storm.

I will never forget the night I lost my mother. We were sitting on some lounge chairs on the deck of our very big boat, drinking hot chocolate-my favorite drink when I was 5. Mom was telling me about the ocean, and how it moved so magnificently. It astonished the 5 year old brain I had. The next thing I know, mom is telling me to get inside and never come out until I heard her or Dad call for me. Mom stayed outside. I will never know why she didn't come with me to safety from that sea storm, or why I never saw her again. From that day on I knew life was never going to be perfect for me.

I sat in silence in my dark room, thinking why I called for her. It had been 10 years. Why was I still calling for a person that I knew wasn't coming to tell me that my nightmare was just a dream and everything was going to be okay? I still didn't know the answer to that. Gosh I hate myself sometimes.

Dad came running in my room. "Sam! What's wrong?" He ran to my bed and gave me a hug.

"Nothing," I lied. "I'm fine. Just fine."

"Okay, pumpkin. But if you ever need me, I am always here for you," Dad told me, forcing a smile on his face. He gave me a kiss on my forehead then left my room.

I rolled around in my bed and pulled the covers to my ears. I just wanted off this boat forever. I just wanted a normal teenage life with actual friends. I just wanted my mom back so my family could be whole again.

Gosh I was such a baby.