Chapter 8

I was too happy to sleep. Too happy to eat. Too happy to even really do anything. Why couldn't I be happy though? I had my mother back, and finally got a friend. A real friend. Life was good.

What would make it even better is if I had my father with me. But I had to face the facts. He probably didn't make it. Even though I knew that, part of me couldn't grasp that concept so I dismissed the idea of being fatherless.

I was in my bed, but wide awake. So awake I could hear every little thing going around me. The rustle of the leaves caused by the wind outside, the chirping of birds (even though it was dark), the buzzing of bugs, and my mother-yelling at my new friend. They were in very hushed tones, but I could hear them plain as day.

Mom: What were you thinking! You both could have been killed! You know the volcano is not ours Maxon! It's the Night Crawlers! What if my little Sam tried to go back there? Huh?! She would be killed!

Max: Chief. I know. I'm sorry. I apologize. But it was day time, afternoon actually. They wouldn't come out of their caves-

Mom: But what if they were in the volcano at the time? Maxon, you both could have been killed! I couldn't dream of losing my best Finder and my daughter in one day! I just couldn't bare it. Please, Maxon. If you cared for my daughter in any way, you would stay away from her.

Max: But Chief-

Mom: No buts. Do you, or do you not like my daughter?

Max: I do, ma'am. I really do but-

Mom: Then you would stay away from her. The end. Now please go get some sleep, you Finders have to find some food tomorrow; we are running low on our meat supply. Good night, Maxon.

Max: Good night...Chief.

I heard the door slam and I could tell Max was angry. Did he seriously like me more than a friend? If he did, than why would Mom make us stay apart? It was just one time it's not like we were going to the volcano loads of times. So why couldn't I speak to him anymore?

This hurt me. My mother, the woman I looked up to, doesn't want me to have friends. But why? What did he do that was so wrong?

Just then I heard my door creak open just a tad. Afraid it was my mother, I acted like I was asleep. Only to find out moments later that it was just Midnight coming to lay with me. Surprisingly, her purring put me right to sleep.

~~~

I woke up to see the sun at my window again. I wanted to ask my mother about Max and why I couldn't talk to him anymore, but then she would know I was listening. I would have to go about this situation in a very sneaky fashion...

I cracked open my bedroom door and walked as calm as I could into the living room. Luckily it was only my mom sitting on her couch, so I sat down next to her.

"Good morning, Sunshine! Would you like something to eat?" Wow. Mom was nice all of the sudden. Is that how moms are? Nice one minute and then the next act like a bear with rabies? I wouldn't know since I haven't been around her very long. Well, I don't remember very well...

"Oh no I'm fine. I did have a question though." I tried to think of the perfect question while I was asking her.

Mom looked at me a little confused and then let me continue.

"I was wondering...if I could...view more of the island with Max today. I had so much fun." Yes Sam, that had to be the most perfect question ever, I thought to myself.

Mom's reply was one I was not hoping for. "No, sorry sweetie. He has duties he has to take care of first."

"But what about after?"