Chapter 18

Max stood so still I thought he was a statue. Mom grabbed his shoulder and threw him on the ground, the few Night Crawlers still alive and not battling at the moment, surrounded him, blocking my view.

The rest of the mini battles also ebbed away, as everyone's attention was focused on Max and my mother.

All I could hear was Mom saying things to Max, but I couldn't make them out. Suddenly, I heard Max yelp in pain, and then cheering directly after, coming from the Night Crawlers.

"The deed is done, fellas," Mom said to them loudly. "Their leader has fallen."

The Night Crawlers exploded in cheers. (Sadly they didn't explode literally.) I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to do something.

I sprinted to Max, tearing the crowd apart to see him. He laid on the ground, his body sprawled out as if Max were a rag doll and someone threw him on the ground. I could see a pool of blood surrounding him. He wasn't moving, and his chest wasn't rising and falling as it does when someone sleeps. Max looked asleep, but I knew he wasn't sleeping. Max was gone, and there was nothing I could do.

I've lost lots of things in my fifteen years on this Earth, and losing my mother was one of the worst things I had lost. But losing Max hurt the worst. I knew this was my fault that he was dead. If I hadn't decided to go by myself, he would still be alive, showing me his goofy smile, and giving me warm hugs.

I couldn't stand it anymore. I fell to the ground, turning him over so I could see his face. His face was still as handsome as it was the first time I saw him. His hair was in a mess but somehow it still looked perfect, as if he wanted to look that way.

"Max, please. Max, please come back," I pleaded to him through my sobs. "You are the best Finder there is, everyone knows that. Heck, you found me stranded on the beach on this goofy island. But when you opened that door to my cabin and I saw you for the first time, something went off in my head. I didn't know what at the time, but now I do know. I know with all my heart that it's true. I love you, Maxon Brett Grey. I love you so very much. Please. Please don't die on me right now. And maybe that is selfish, but I don't care. I need you, Max. I do, I really do need you. Please come back to me. Please don't leave me!" I collapsed on his chest, sobbing so hard I could hardly breath. I kissed him one last time, but his lips weren't warm like they always were, they were ice cold.

I didn't care if the Night Crawlers were going to kill me. Max was gone and so was my father. I assumed he was gone, since he wasn't around. My mother, if she was still alive was evil so who cared about her. Everyone I ever cared about was lost from me. I was ready to meet the Creator if these heathens wanted to kill me so bad.

I waited and waited to be shot, or stabbed but nothing happened. I also waited for Max to wake up, but that didn't happen either.

I looked up to see no one around me. No Night Crawlers, and no evil mother. I only saw my friends, off in the distance, giving me space.

"I love you too," said a soft voice.

I turned to Max to see his blue eyes glowing brighter than ever at me.

I gasped. "Max! You're alive!"

"Of course I am. Those cannibals can't kill Maxon Grey off so quickly."

I could feel tears coming from my eyes, but instead of mourning tears, these were happy ones. "But, but you weren't breathing. I thought-"

"Well you thought wrong, Sam. I was holding my breath. You didn't check my heart beat now did ya?" Max winked at me and shot me his goofy smile.

"No, I guess not," I said.

Max wiped the tears from my eyes and gave me a hug. It suddenly made me feel much better. We sat on the ground side by side.