Chapter 7

I woke up to the sun hitting my eyes and blinding me. Usually I would be angry, as the sun disturbed my slumber, but I was very content in waking up today since I knew my mother was near me. I jumped out of bed and opened the door to my room, closing it to leave a small crack so Midnight could come and go as she pleased. I walked into the living room and saw my mother and Max and a few other men talking in low voices which seemed very serious.

"Sorry, Sam. Did we wake you up?" Max asked me, standing up and walking towards me.

"No," I answered. "Actually the sun did. Do I need to leave?"

"It's just a meeting about the Island and how we are going to protect ourselves if more Night Crawlers attack," Max said. "Chief Brown, may I take Samantha for a tour of the Island? She hasn't got a chance to see the marvelous scenery it has to offer yet." Max's tone sounded as he was a little boy, asking his mother for a toy in the store.

"Yes, Maxon. Go ahead. The meeting is almost over anyways," Mom said with a small grin on her face. I didn't realize who she was talking to until I remembered that Max's real name was Maxon.

"But Mom, are we going to talk after I get back?" I was curious to know this, since I really wanted to be able to talk to my mother and catch up.

"Yes, honey. Of course. But before you go, I have a change of clothes for you layed out on your dresser in your room. You can change if you like."

Of course I wanted to change! I haven't had the chance to change in a while, let alone take a shower. I ran to my room, opening the door and closing it all the way behind me this time. The clothes layed out weren't the best clothes ever, but I was just happy to get out of these dirty ones. I changed into a worn out green t-shirt, and some blue shorts. I didn't bother putting on shoes since I despise shoes. My long brown hair had been down this whole time, so I just combed my fingers through it and let it be.

I ran back to the living room and found Max. He grabbed my arm and jerked me out the door and down the set of steps.

"We are going on an adventure!" Max exclaimed to me.

"Where exactly are we headed?"

"Around the Island of course! I wanted to show you the marvelous things it has to offer. There is gorgeous scenery like a volcano and caves and a waterfall, oh Sam you'll love it!" Max seemed like it was Christmas. I just giggled and went along with him.

"You still don't know me," I said, as we continued to walk down the road through the rows of huts. "You know nothing about me except what my favorite color and animal is."

"This is true, well tell me more about yourself then."

"Nah, how about you tell me first. So I know if I can trust you while we go on this adventure."

"I don't see why you don't trust me. Your mother trusts me with her life. I am ranked almost directly below her in the Tribe Ranks," Max said tightly, sounding a little offended.

"Sorry, but I am not my mother, and I am still interested in knowing how you ended up on this island in the first place." I tried to make it sound jokingly, and I think Max understood.

"Alright," Max answered. He took a deep breath and started to talk again. "But I don't really wanna talk about it here. Wait until we get out of the Village."

I nodded and we continued to walk down the road but in silence. Once we made it away from everyone, Max started to speak.

"Okay, here's what happened. My family decided to take a deep sea fishing trip. It was my dad, my mum, my older sister, and me. We all love to fish and to a 7 year old, this was a dream come true. It was around midday and we could see the clouds becoming darker and darker as they approached our boat. Dad said it was just a normal sea storm and everything would be okay. But Mum was worried. She told Dad that we should probably go inside and stay there until the storm stopped. He didn't want to fight with her, so we all headed inside the boat. The storm came nearer and nearer until it was just above us. We all stayed together but the storm wouldn't let up. The waves got stronger and stronger that they eventually tipped the boat over. We were all stuck in the boat cabin and the door was jammed because of the water. Mum busted a window with a fishing pole we had and told my sister and I to crawl out. I was the only one that could because the window itself was so small. Even with the glass broken all the way out. I was the only one to survive out of my whole family. I swam and swam until I found this island; it wasn't that far away really, but I swam. I eventually found your mum and the others and have been here ever since."