Chapter 17

I kept my bow drawn, with an arrow ready to shoot anything that seemed like a threat to me. I was so afraid and alert that I almost shot a skunk thinking it was something much worse. Glad that I didn't because it would have stunk.

I moved as quickly and silently as I could, knowing I still had plenty of moonlight and darkness to get this task done.

I arrived when the moon was directly over top of me, giving me plenty of light to see where the bush was that I had hidden in twice already. I crawled in, sat down my bow, and looked up through the brush to see the sky. The stars were shining as bright as the moon it seemed, making this seem like the most beautiful night ever.

Too bad this was the last time I could see them.

I sighed and got out of the bush, putting my hands up, and walking into the clearing, to where a few Night Crawlers and my mother were lounging.

"It's her!" one called out. "It's the lost daughter!"

"Quiet Quezlo," Mom said. "Wait, you mean my daughter?"

She looked up at me and got up, practically running to greet me. I thought she would tackle me or punch me or something, so I braced myself, my hands still in the air in surrender. Instead of being killed or injured, I was welcomed with a hug.

"Sam you're just in time." Mom let go and stood a couple feet in front of me, her face looking as if I was the greatest thing in the world. There was not a hint of evil on her face and I almost believed she was good again.

"Um, time for what?"

"The Night Crawlers get to feast on some Villagers. They dance and have a beautiful festival actually," Mom told me happily.

I was disgusted. Nope. I was more than disgusted. There was no good left in her. She was completely evil. She was mental.

"Um...okay," I said slowly.

Mom dragged me along and we sat down on a log which was quite close to the fire pit they had. The fire was burning bright, cascading long shadows of everything onto the ground. There was a long stick draped high above it, with a turning knob on the side. My guess was that their food would be on that stick, roasting.

"But, Mom. Isn't a little early for a feast?"

Mom tilted her head back and cackled. "Oh, Sunshine," she said. As she said it, I cringed. I did not want her calling me Sunshine. "A human takes quite a while to cook on slow roast. You'll see."

I wanted to throw up. I wanted to leave. But I knew I couldn't do either of those things. I had to rescue Dad and the others. And I had to do it myself.

"Mom."

"Yes, honey?" Still didn't like that name but you can't always have it your way.

"I didn't come here to take part in a feast. I came to make a deal, or really a trade."

Mom looked interested in what I had to say, so I continued.

"I-I wanna trade myself for the Villagers and Dad. You can do whatever you want with me. I don't care. Just let the others go."

She sat there, looking like she was thinking hard about my offer. She finally decided to speak. "I'm guessing you have spies in the woods out there don't you. Ready to shoot us if something bad happens to you?"

"No," I said. "I came alone. Completely alone."

She grinned. And it wasn't a nice grin either. It was a very evil grin that reminded me of the Grinch. "Very well. I will accept this offer. But, your father will stay. The others may go, but you two will stay with me. You wanted the whole family together, right? Well, together we are."