Kendyll x Gramoss - Pain Lasts

One sunrise, everything was normal. But at sundown, it certainly wasn't. I was running as far as my short stubby legs could take me. The oasis was fading away behind me. I needed to hide - and fast. You may be asking why I needed to hide - well, a baby kendyll certainly does have a right to run from angry grami who were on a killing spree. What could have led them there, was the question? The two little kendylls who snuck out at night to play under the stars? That rebellious teen who wanted to go on a walk in the Redwoods? What about me, when I snuck some food from the Flower Cove? Regardless of why it was happening, it was happening. I shoved myself inside a tiny cave, watching the blood pour from my side. Right. I forgot to tell you, a gram had taken a successful swipe at me with it's tusk. AND IT REALLY HURT. The sand didn't help much either, sticking to the wound like millions of miniature hikorshi teeth. Smashing came from above the cave, making more sand fall as I close my eyes. Noises were fading, fading, fading. And finally, hours after they were gone, I looked. The grami were a speck in the distance, barely even visible against the horizon as the sun rose once more. The wound's blood had dried, and I didn't know how long it would last. But it still hurt like crazy. I stumbled closer to my old home. Nobody said 'Welcome back!' or 'Wow, another survivor!' as our hiding cave came into view. The desert was redder than before - but the sand I was standing on right now was the same. The pieces added up, but I refused to believe them. "Hello!?" I called again. Nobody. "Mom! Crocodile? Alligator! Tyrant?! Where are you?" I called again. Nothing. Nobody. No sign of anything other than death. So I turned away. I quitted that easily. But who would blame me? I ran, ran, and ran. Away from the past, away from my memories.

And that was how I was brought to this day. "Hello?!" a gram called from below me. My cold gaze bore into him. He was about my age, but nowhere near as frightening. He looked up, and seemed surprised to see me. "Sunset?!" "How is my name of your knowledge?" I growled at him, making him squeak as he fell over. "I thought it was sunset though when I looked-" my eyes scanned the horizon. It indeed was sunset. "Very well. What are you doing in an area as deserted as the Salt Flats?" "My herd was killed by this mean gyrodous! He chomped mommy all up and said yummy yummy! So rude!" he huffed. I rolled my eyes. "Wow, what's that pink thing on you? They look like the ones on sissy!" My snout twisted with amusement. "You do realize they wont come back right?" "But they will!" he argued, looking off into the distance. "No, I guess they wont." he sighed. "It's fine. I can allow you to stay here if you want, but just don't drink the water. It tastes disgusting." he added as the gramoss giggled. He didn't know what it was about that giggle, but it made him feel as if he wanted more of that voice. "Pain lasts, but maybe it can be endured."