࿏ 4 ࿏

┍━━━━━━━✁━━━━━━━┑

[4. Empty]
┕━━━━━━━✃━━━━━━━┙

—One year earlier—

I bang the fridge door shut. It's empty, again. Sighing, I walk to the front door, which I just came through, and put my shoes back on. Summer's at its end and it's visible; it's barely past 8pm and already dark outside. I just got back from school, my first week as a senior ending as well.

It was strange to see Yeeun and Sana again. We haven't seen each other for two months over the vacation since Sana went with her parents to California and Yeeun went camping by the sea with her family. They were both tanned and beaming with glee, excited to share their stories of the glorious summer days with me. Sana couldn't stop talking about the American boy she'd had a fling with while Yeeun nonstop told about how she and her siblings made s'mores over the fire every single night. They didn't even notice that I didn't have any stories of my own to tell.

I start the ten minute walk to the nearest grocery store. Mom's on another business trip, and I've no idea where Taehyung is. Probably at Hoseok's, or Jungkook's. They're his best friends. I'm actually glad he isn't at home. That would mean they would be, too. They can't seem to go anywhere without one another. And if they were all three back at our house, it would be chaotic. They're so noisy, playing their games and whatnot.

The streets are mostly vacant at this hour. Most people are already at home with their families. It's unsettling to know that if someone were to try and kidnap me right now, the only way of defending myself would be to run. I can't throw a punch for my life.

I look around myself. Gosh, why did I have to think like that? Now I'm going to be even more scared than I usually am walking alone at night as a young girl. Okay, Y/n. What do you do if something happens? Run. And if that doesn't work, kick. Between the legs. That'll do. It'll have to.

Despite my worried thoughts, I manage to get to the store unscathed. No one bothered me.

I feel for my wallet in my pocket and fish it out. Opening it, I find a sad amount of money inside. What will I afford with this? I know my card's almost out too.

Comforted by the bright lights of the grocery store and the few people scouring the shelves inside, I take out my phone to call my mom. She's out of town, but she's my mom for crying out loud. She still has to support me.

I dial her number and wait.

And wait.

I dial her number again.

And wait.

And wait.

Shit. She's not responding. I think about calling Taehyung, but if this is what I've got left, he can't have much more. Besides, he needs it too.