࿏ 8 ࿏

┍━━━━━━━✁━━━━━━━┑

[8. Truth]
┕━━━━━━━✃━━━━━━━┙

I wake up to the sound of voices and the sizzling from a pan on a stove. Keeping my eyes closed, I try to distinguish who is talking.

For a few blessed seconds, I don't remember who I am, where I am and why I am here. But, as I said, that's only for a few seconds. Soon it all comes crashing back like a tsunami over the desert that is my mind.

Taehyung was bringing me back to his place, wherever that is, and I must've fallen asleep in his car. But it isn't the deep rumble of his voice that I hear, but someone else's. It's a man, and he talks with great exaggeration, as if every word that leaves  his mouth is filled with the sound of joy itself.

I recognize it as Hoseok, my brother's best friend since high school.

"And then the fountain exploded-"

"Exploded?"

"Yes, exploded-"

"He's got a fountain?"

"A chocolate fountain."

The other voice... who is it?

I open my eyes, blinking a few times to see through the light.

I'm laying on a couch, a low table of wood in front of me, and a TV in front of that. The kitchen seems to be joined to the living room; the people are not too far behind me.

I push the blanket off me and sit up at the same time I hear the sound of soft steps on the floor, someone entering the room. Then it's my brother I hear talking. "Keep it down. You woke her up."

Suddenly I feel someone's - or several people's - gazes on my back. I look over my shoulder and meet three familiar faces - Hoseok, as I'd suspected, Taehyung and... Seokjin. Jungkook's older brother.

"Hi."

And then hell breaks loose.

"Y/n, risen from the dead!" Seokjin exclaims.

"Our favorite girl! Good morning sleepy head."

Hoseok and Seokjin move towards the couch, Seokjin with a spatula in one hand. Hoseok gives me a tight hug and Seokjin pats my head with his free hand, greeting me warmly. I appreciate their effort to make this reunion less awkward.

I smile back at them hesitantly. We were never that close, but we did hang out in the same group. And I have to admit that I have missed their playfulness and light.

Taehyung turns his back on us and walks up to the pan, commenting, "The food is burning."

"Shit!" Seokjin hurries back to the island counter where the stove is. The apartment is small but cozy, the hall, living room and kitchen combined. From my point of view looking towards the kitchen, the front door is at my back to the right, and along the left wall are three doors. I assume those are the bedrooms, and at least one must be the bathroom.