࿏ 6 ࿏

┍━━━━━━━✁━━━━━━━┑

[6. Vultures]
┕━━━━━━━✃━━━━━━━┙

—Same year, March—

I knock on the door to Jungkook's house once again, testing the handle to see if it's already open. I find that it is, and quietly slip inside, though it wouldn't have mattered if I banged it open; everyone is being so loud that they haven't even been able to hear my incessant knocking, those idiots. If my guess is right, then the people waiting in the living room are Jungkook and his best friend Hoseok as well as Jungkook's older brother Jin and his best friend Namjoon. Taehyung won't be here, since he has been distant ever since mine and Jungkook's relationship was revealed. I cast aside the thought, focusing on the present again.

I'm not surprised to also hear a female giggle amongst the boys' laughter. I mentally groan at the thought of having to deal with her tonight. I thought I would be blessed with her absence for the day as it's Saturday and no school, but no, of course she's here.

Sangmi.

Even thinking that name makes my insides boil.

But I have to act nice. She's a close friend of my boyfriend, and if I was rude to her, it would put him in an uncomfortable position to have to pick a side.

And I don't know who he'd pick.

Of course, he's said that she'll never stand between us, that she's just a childhood friend of his and she'll stay as just that. But despite the fact that she's just his friend and I'm his girlfriend, I don't know who actually matters more. My already battered self-confidence is quaking thinking about it. And I know that I shouldn't even be thinking about it. It's unfair, to him and to her. Why would he even need to pick between the two of us?

He's already claimed his romantic interest lies with me and I should be satisfied with that. It's just hard when she's constantly reminding me of their long history and the many times they've laughed and cried together, comforted and stood up for each other. She's always doing it with this glint in her eye, sending me seemingly innocent glances that I swear are with malicious intent.

I enter the living room, holding up the bags of fried chicken I brought with me. I'm so glad I got that part time job. Now I can spoil my friends with food sometimes, as they've done in the past with me. "Food's here!"

Everyone's attention turns to me as they hurray at the smell and sigh of the food.

"Thanks Y/n!"

"YES!"

"You're the best, Y/n."

I beam at their expressions, delighted to have made them so happy. They stand up and flock around me to grab the bags and start unpacking them onto the low living room table. The only one not saying anything and just sending me a tight smile is Sangmi. She's sitting right next to Jungkook, too close for my liking, but I don't say anything.