Chapter 1. September

Hi lovely readers!
Please leave comments as you read and votes if you enjoyed. This is a slow-burn, angst/fluff Drarry fic and it took me so long to write so I hope you enjoy it!
all my love! 🤍🤍🤍

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry, Ron and Hermione were relaxing on the grassy bank outside the castle grounds. It was a warm September morning, a Saturday, and they'd just completed their first week back at Hogwarts.

They had returned to the school for an eighth year, to complete their education. Both Headmistresses McGonagall and the newly reformed Ministry granted that the previous year be scrapped in terms of education, due to events of the war and the drop in a standard of teaching due to the Carrows.

Ginny explained over the summer that while the trio were away hunting horcruxes, Hogwarts did not operate as normal last year. Students were incapable of learning due to the threat of being cursed at any given moment, teachers usual curriculum was cast aside, the hospital wing was filled every week from tortured first years, students deteriorating mental health and adults suffering punishments from refusing to abide by the new rules. Dark magic had filled the cold stone walls of Hogwarts and now a fresh start was blooming.

With McGonagall as Headmistress, studies returned to normal and a new feeling of hope was spreading. Workload was more relaxed, with less homework being given and shorter exam timetables due at the end of the following year. Though the houses still remained, the points system was scrapped to bring in a new era of cooperation and community.

More social events were arranged, from team sport days to cooking and craft afternoons, to encourage the students to mingle and get to know each other across all years and houses. Neville ran a social Herbology group where students could help each other grow their plants, share tips and create small green spaces around the castle for others to enjoy.

Harry taught Quidditch basics alongside Ginny to anyone interested in improving their skill. Students from all years would gather on the pitch once a fortnight to learn about the game, while most simply idolised Harry and were fascinated by everything he said.

Hermione offered tutoring sessions in the library for fellow students who wanted a little extra help.

There was a wonderful sense of community. The war had changed a lot of people and forced young students to deal with a lot, but McGonagall was doing her best to ensure the school was home for all and that everyone had a place to feel safe and happy.

The grounds of Hogwarts suffered a vast amount of damage during the war, most of which had now been cleared and rebuilt back to its natural beauty.

The returning eighth year students were crammed into their usual house common rooms for the first two months until the final touches for their new space had been built for them. As there were only a handful from each house, they would be living collectively in one large shared common room on the top floor of the castle

The trio lazily looked out across the grounds, taking a quiet moment to reflect. Acres and acres of trees rolled over the hills, with their purest green leaves resisting the urge to turn red just yet. Glimmers of yellow, gold and auburn reflecting on the surface edge of the lake. The sun was blazing high, flecks of blinding white light bouncing off the water, the lake dancing with colours of the ever changing seasons.

"It feels strange being back here" Harry pondered, gazing across the black lake "Do you think I made the right choice in returning?"

"Absolutely. It will bring you the closure that you need after living through such horrid events. Besides, your education is still vital, Harry. Now is the time to focus on your studies and the future ahead of you" Hermione replied as she sat peacefully between Ron's legs, both of them facing out into the breeze, his arms holding them up while her mass of brown curls splayed out against his chest