Chapter 6. The Halloween Feast

The Great Hall had been transformed beautifully, with autumnal themed decorations and a hint of Halloween. Black candles floated above the tables across the length of the room, flickering gently in the warm firelight, surrounded by a canopy of red, brown and orange leaves which were suspended in the air and twirling as if being blown by a subtle breeze. 

The Great Hall ceiling had transformed to show a starry night where galaxies and shooting stars flew, a glowing moon faintly lighting the inky sky. Soft twigs and leaves intertwined in beautiful garlands that spanned from wall to wall. The tables were laden with a vast array of savouries, sweets and drinks, bubbling in mini cauldrons with self-serve ladles

There were cheese and apple filled pies, sausage casserole, chicken drumsticks, squashes stuffed with herbs and vegetables. Mushroom tarts, beef stews, butternut quiche and vegetable bakes as well as sticky toffee pudding bites, pumpkin muffins and apple tartlets. The mini cauldrons were filled to the brim with fancy punches, there was a frothing apple concoction and a fizzing spicy ginger and cinnamon cocktail. 

Large glowing pumpkins acted as centrepieces on all of the large, round tables, surrounded by black lace webbing and on each seat sat a black satin cushion for added comfort. Their layout across the room meant additional space was made in the centre of the Hall where dancing could take place. Every effort had been made to make this an extra special night for all the students.

"Wow" Ron and Harry exclaimed breathtakingly, as they reached the doors to the Great Hall and looked out in awe of the beautiful interiors.

The hall was already filling up fast with excited students and staff and the new layout of tables meant everyone was mingling from different years and houses. The trio made their way across the room, admiring the decorations, to the table where Dean, Ginny and Neville were conversing, accompanied by Luna Lovegood.

"Luna! Hi!" Harry called, breaking into a grin and opening up for a hug

"Hello Harry!" Luna beamed, sharing the embrace. "Hello Ron, hello Hermione, you both look wonderful tonight" she smiled leaning in for a hug with them both

"It's so lovely to see you, Luna. How have you been?" Hermione asked

"I've been doing very well, thank you. I've been assisting Dad with the production of the Quibbler, business is doing splendidly and though I do miss Hogwarts dearly, I really am having a wonderful time"

"That's fantastic to hear" Harry beamed. Until now he hadn't realised how much he'd missed Luna's gentle nature, he couldn't help but always feel peaceful around her

"You two make a delightful couple" Luna said tenderly

Ron and Hermione both blushed and she squeezed his hand a little tighter, neither of them were very good at talking openly about their romance. Harry gave them beaming side-eye, knowing his friends would be awkward

"Thank you" Hermione replied "We we're so pleased to hear about you and Neville, he really does care for you dearly, he never stops talking about you"

"Yes, he is rather sweet" she smiled "Well, I'll let you get back to enjoying your evening, there's a free seat next to me If you wish to join us" she turned and skipped back to her seat where Neville planted a shy kiss on her cheek

They sat themselves at the table and shortly after, the feast began. Music flowed through the room as students tucked into the delicious feast and socialised with one another, enjoying the pleasant atmosphere and adrenaline that came from dressing up in outfits nicer than school robes. It was an evening to mingle, to feel comfortable and to relax and enjoy themselves.

After a while, Harry sat back and discreetly scanned the room for a certain blonde. He usually stuck out like a sore thumb with his platinum hair, yet the one time he looked for him he was no where to be seen. Eventually as a group of girls moved to the dance floor, Harry noticed Draco through the gap, across the far end of the hall accompanied by Pansy and Blaise while talking and sharing food with a group of Hufflepuffs from sixth and seventh year.