Chapter 3. Quidditch

That evening Draco sat in the Great Hall with his friends, trying not to relive the disaster that was the potions lesson over and over again in his head.

Despite Harry being so relaxed about it all, something was bugging him. Was Harry really being friendly to him? or just too tired to have another one of their classic quarrels? Draco couldn't rest with the idea that Harry still thought of him as a "bloody tosser", as Ron kindly put it. He wanted to clear the air, and not just because he dissolved half of his school work this morning, but to make up for years of nastiness and hate, hate that was no longer inside of him.

Draco kept looking up from his food to place and eye on Harry, but the view was restricted and he felt awkward having so many people around him.

He needed to get Harry alone

After several minutes of contemplation, whilst completely disregarding any form of conversation happening around him, he saw Harry get up from the table, and make for the exit.

No reason in dragging this out now is there? 

Draco made an excuse to leave and told Pansy and Blaise he'd catch them in the common room, before swiftly trailing Harry out of the hall and into the castle. After enough distance, when the surrounding noises began to fade and the staircases emptied, he called out

"Harry!.... Hey, Harry!"

Harry stopped and turned on his heel

"Malfoy? What do you want?"

"Hey, so...um...I just wanted to apologise again for earlier, in potions" Draco walked up a few more steps "I know you probably think I'm a massive git but... I swear it was an accident and if you want me to redo your potion I totally will honesty I don-"

"Malfoy! It's fine" Harry smiled cutting in "Honestly, forget about it ok? Slughorn has a habit of over-marking my work anyway, I could produce a vile of stolen pumpkin juice and he'd still award me the highest grade" he laughed

"I understand. It's just... I just wanted to let you know that... I would never do anything like that to annoy you or get in your way, not anymore at least"

Harry raised an eyebrow and Draco took a breath to prepare what he'd being going over in his head all day 

"I know all your friends think I'm a massive git, and I'm sure you do too actually... and you have every right to!... because, well, well I was a massive git and... I don't know... I'm mumbling now, I just wanted to say that...I am sorry, truly, not just for today but for everything... and I know sorry isn't nearly enough for the nastiness I threw at you, and I'm not asking you to forgive me... I just... I hoped maybe we could... start over, and if you don't want to be around me, which I would totally understand, then that's fine too...i just...wanted you to know that I wont be... bothering you anymore, and I won't bother you when we're sharing a common room either. I sort of... want things to be civil now, not at each others throats..."

Draco was staring at his feet awkwardly, feeling like he wanted the ground to swallow him whole. Since when did Malfoys apologise? Pigs would fly before he ever thought he'd be civil with Harry Potter

Harry stared at him wide eyed "This isn't a joke is it? You're not pulling a massive prank on me right now? Pretending to be nice when really-"

"No! Absolutely not, I swear" Draco explained "Really, Harry... everything that happened recently with the Dark Lord and the battle has seriously changed me. I'm living with some serious regrets from my past behaviour and I need to amend that, especially with you"

"Wow, ok. Well... I wasn't expecting that" Harry said scratching his head "I mean... you're not wrong. You were a real piece of work that's for sure"