Chapter 12. The Lake

It was a crisp, early December morning when Harry and Draco arranged to meet down by lake, across from the castle. It was a decent walk through the woods which curved its way around the lake edge coming out to a grassy bank which overlooked stunning views of the serene water and rolling mountains in the distance, the castle sitting quietly to the right, just creeping out from the trees. It was a quiet spot, one where Harry often came on his own when he needed some time for reflection or simply some peace.

Harry was sitting with his legs kicked out in front of him, pulling at blades of grass and twirling them between his fingers, then letting the wind carry them away. The winter sun was rippling in the water, bouncing off and casting a warm glow across the shoreline which eased the chill on his body. He took a deep breath, listening to the gentle rustle of leaves behind him from the breeze which swayed lazily across the treetops. It was a late Saturday morning and after a busy week he craved nothing more than an hour or two with his favourite Slytherin.

"Alright, this better be bloody important calling me all the way down here!" Draco called, emerging through the trees behind Harry "If i'd have known it was this far I would've packed a tent"

"It is important" Harry answered, standing up and meeting Draco face to face. Draco's chest tightened at his serious tone

"Oh, is something wrong?"

"Yes" Harry nodded "It's been over a week since we last kissed, I feel deprived, I think it's killing me" he said, his face changing to a playful smirk, placing the back of his hand to his forehead like a damsel in distress

"Oh you bloody moron" Draco sighed, rolling his eyes and giving him a gentle shove

"Ha!" Harry joked with a mischievous smile before pouncing forward and catching Draco's lips with his own. He pulled him in close and ran his hand up the side of Draco's arm, inhaling his musky scent as their lips caressed one another in a deep but gentle kiss. Their mouths broke away but they continued to hold each other, Harry looking into Draco's eyes and smiling as he rested his forehead on Draco's.

"if all you wanted was a make out session we could've just gone to our usual broom cupboard, Harry. Why have you dragged me out all this way?"

"Because-" Harry said taking Draco's hand and guiding him out from the final trees onto the grassy bank "-of this". He gestured out across the lake and turned back to see Draco, who's eyes were wide with amazement at the stunning natural surroundings that fell before him. The corners of his mouth curling up into a breath-taking smile as he looked on in awe at the beauty of the lake below the mountains, rippling on for miles while the distant castle looked down on them from afar.

"How did you find this place?" Draco asked, still mesmerised by the shimmering colours of the lake and the vast expanse of earth painted across the horizon

"I've used to always come here whenever I needed time alone, especially closer to the war when things began to get overwhelming. It's the perfect place to unwind and clear your mind and the views never stop amazing me. I wanted to share it with you." he smiled toward Draco, who walked over to him and slid his arms around his waist from behind, holding Harry close, resting his chin on his shoulder and planting a soft kiss on his neck

"It's beautiful here. Much better than the broom closet for sure"

Harry broke away and began casting protective enchantments across the surrounding area to ensure that they really did have the place to themselves, without any prying eyes. He returned to Draco who was sat on the grass, pulling his jacket tighter over him to escape the cool winter breeze and sat down beside him looking out across the lake.

"I've missed you" Draco said, turning to Harry and admiring his perfect features. It'd been a while since they last had time alone together

"I've missed you too. I know I see you every night in the common room but It's not the same, you know? We can't be together properly" Harry replied, sliding his fingers between Draco's and squeezing his hand tight