A Night In Liyue - Chapter 7

Diluc and y/n open the door to their room to only find one bed there. Y/n looks shocked and a little embarrassed.

Y/n: th-there is only one bed!
Diluc: they said this was the only room left...
Y/n: ok then I'll take the couch
Diluc: no, you take the bed. I don't sleep anyways
Y/n: what? You don't sleep?! How can that be possible?!
Diluc: I haven't in years. When you live in my shoes, you don't have much time for stuff like that.
Y/n: you can't be serious?!
Diluc: listen there is no point arguing about it! Just take the bed. I'm not going to sleep so don't bother having this discussion with me
Y/n: umm ok... so what are you going to do? You sure you don't want to join me? Could be fun
Diluc: what did I tell you earlier?!
Y/n: fine fine! I'll be back before 10...

Diluc POV

Is she seriously going to see some silly lights? Should I really let her go alone? It might not be safe at night. *sighs* what am I doing?!

Diluc: wait!... I'll go...
Y/n: r-really?! What changed your mind?
Diluc: do I need a reason?
Y/n: I guess not. Come on! Let's go!

Y/n and Diluc leave the hotel room. And go out into the streets. Y/n practically dragged Diluc everywhere she wanted to see. She was so happy. It made Diluc smile seeing her get so happy over the little delights Liyue had to offer. As it got closer to sun set y/n and Diluc headed up a hill edge. Sitting down watching over the harbour. Y/n was so excited to see the city light up. She didn't really get to do stuff like this with anyone anymore. She was glad to share the experience with someone. Even if it wasn't exactly her first choice.

Diluc: I got to ask... why are you so excited about this?
Y/n: how honest do you want me to be with that question?
Diluc: what?
Y/n: you just might feel a little uncomfortable with the answer
Diluc: ... you can tell me
Y/n: *sighs* my mum and dad used to do stuff like this with me. We used to watch the sunset over our town on special occasions. The scenery is beautiful. But it also reminds me of those days when I was young...
Diluc: why did you stop?
Y/n: ... my... my dad died after my little sister turned 1... everything changed after that...
Diluc: I-I'm sorry... how did he die? If you don't mind me asking?
Y/n: ... cancer...
Diluc: I'm unfamiliar with the word?
Y/n: it's a sickness from my world... of which there is no definite cure. He had it for years... but it got worse... it made him unable to breath... until...

A tear falls down her cheek and she wipes it away

Y/n: sorry... I didn't think I would cry
Diluc: it's ok... you did warn me... but you don't have to apologise... I know what it's like to lose a father
Y/n: you lost your father too?
Diluc: yes... in a way it was a sickness that took him too... he got too carried away with dark power. It over took him... he used it to protect us both but... it consumed him... it ended up killing him... I blame myself. I could have done more... I could have saved him... kae- other people could have done so too... but I guess we were all just too scared to do anything....
Y/n: I'm so sorry... but just realise... you aren't alone... people are here for you...

Y/n and Diluc stare into each others eyes for a moment. Seeing the pain in each other's eyes, seeing the grief they both felt. In the corner of their eyes they see the last stroke of daylight fade away. And the city lights painting the city in glorious colour. Y/n gazes in bewilderment. Diluc turns away from the lights and looks towards y/n. He stares at her.

Diluc POV

She is so happy now... I'm glad she was able to cheer up... I didn't realise seeing this meant that much to her... I guess you never really know a person... and I didn't think we would find something in common... we sit and watch the lights a while longer. I couldn't lie. They were beautiful... we walked back to the hotel room. The room was dark so I lit up some candles in the room. I saw y/n sit down on the sofa taking off her boots, and I sat down on the other side.

Y/n: ...thank you for coming with me to see the lights... I didn't want to admit it... but I honestly didn't want to be alone on that hill
Diluc: ... You're welcome...
Y/n: ... so... if you don't sleep, what are you going to do?
Diluc: I'll probably go check on the horse, read a book? I'm not entirely sure... not used to having time to myself honestly...
Y/n: you could try and sleep?
Diluc: that's not happening

Y/n walks over to a book shelf and sees a series of book displayed.

Diluc: what are you doing?
Y/n: well if you aren't sleeping, neither am I
Diluc: you don't need to do that
Y/n: least I could do, you accompanied me to see the lights
Diluc: you will not be able to stay awake
Y/n: I guess we shall see

Y/n grabs a book off the shelf and reads the title. "Lost desert flower" she hands the book to Diluc. He looks at it with a smirk

Diluc: what are you doing?
Y/n: you're going to read, and I'm going to listen.
Diluc: *chuckles* very well

Y/n sits back down next to Diluc so she could follow along as he read. Diluc begins to read the book to her. She listens closely. After a while her eyes slowly start to close and her head begins to rest on Diluc's shoulder without him realising.

Diluc: and then at last the man arrived at the hidden city. He finally found his desert flower. His hidden jewel had been revealed. His true love, finally in his arms...

Diluc finally realises y/n is asleep on his shoulder, he blushes lightly and smirks at her. He puts the book down and carries y/n bridal style towards the bed. Laying her down lightly. He then pulls a blanket over her, making sure she was warm in the night. He stares at her again, seeing how peaceful she looks. Smiling at how she managed to fall asleep so easily. He kneels down to look closer. Pulling a strand of her h/c hair covering her face, behind her ear. He suddenly realised what he was doing and quickly backs away from her, blushing at his response. Diluc leaves the room and goes to check on the horse. Leaving y/n to peacefully rest.