Chapter 10: Number Nine

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The next day*

-Hwiyoung's POV-

I stood up almost all night, writing about my current life, aspirations, struggles, goals, and memories. Right after that, I went to bed and tried to get as much rest as possible. Even though it was tough to accomplish, in the end, I shut my eyes until the next day.

When the morning came, I instantly hid my notebook between the books on the desk's shelf. I placed it behind everything to keep it undercover and then got ready to continue with the rest of my day. It didn't take long for my father to come and take me to the laboratory. He looked happier than other days, and it was new to see my father this way. However, I didn't mention anything on our way to the destination, and I only waited for the arrival.

After some minutes, my father pulled over, and we immediately got out of the car. Briefly, my father's assistant received us while he showed me around the place. He looked proud of the entire corporation he created with his partners, and it almost seemed like this place was his sacred gem. The tour concluded, and my father presented me with the scientist and engineers behind the project R.D. And once the introductions ended, the tests began.

*Current time*

I changed into a black sport's gear, took jewelry off, and put on the right shoes to run. After that, I walked along with some guards to a white room; everything looks impressive, built with high tech and precise programming. I glanced at the whole place, noticing the wide window on the wall, which gives me a view of the control room.

-Hwiyoung, it's me. – My father said while talking through the mic. -Right now, we are going to do some tests to calculate your properties as the first subject to use project R.D. – My father explained, which I nodded for in response.

-What do I have to do? – I asked while looking at my father.

-This room connects to your mind, so whatever you think about will appear or transform that area. – My father disclosed as I began to look around me. -Hwiyoung, close your eyes and imagine yourself inside a maze. Your clothes changed, the place is dark, but you still see some light. It's getting late, so you have to hurry to get out of there. – My father described while I began to imagine the place.

-Open your eyes. – My father ordered.

Suddenly, I glanced around. Everything changed around me, and I couldn't tell if I was dreaming or seeing reality. Briefly, I began to walk around the maze, trying to search for a way out. And like my father said, it was getting late; I look up at the sky and see that the moon is already there. So, I started to run while feeling the breeze against my skin.

Is this reality?

-Hwiyoung, now someone is chasing you; run faster. – My father said, which I nodded before I did what he told me. Somehow, I felt this realistic feeling of anxiousness, which made me hold my breath while finding the exit.

I didn't hesitate to hide between the walls of the maze, doing my best so I couldn't get caught. I breathed heavily while looking to my sides, and after that, I continued to run until I saw the light. Once I crossed the finish line, the maze vanished, and I was back in the white room. Immediately, I looked up at the window and saw my father celebrating with his partners.

Does that mean that it worked? I passed the test.

-Hwiyoung, come out and get ready for the next part of your training. – My father ordered, which I nodded for as a response.

Briefly, I got out of the room while some guards took me to another part of the building. I saw my father's partners talking to him while walking to the same place as me.

-Where are we going? – I asked while walking beside my father.

-We are presenting you the project R.D. – My father pointed out before we reached a door; he opened it for me as both of us got inside. Another white room with some tables; looks like another part of the laboratory, but it seems cleaner and with various machines. -Dr. Yong, show my son the R.D. device. – My father spoke happily.

-Of course, Eunhyun. – Dr. Yong nodded before going towards the last desk in the room and returned to us with a watch between his hands.

-How does it work? – I asked, intrigued.

-To set the time, use the same method to change the hour in an analog watch. For the year, use the settings of the left side and modify it like a digital clock. And for the day, use the top handle, twist it to match the number of the day you want. – Dr. Yong explained while pointing at every element on the watch.

-Do I have to use it now? – I asked, confused.

-When you travel, you have to keep the clock on your wrist at all times. It's waterproof and resistant to damage. So, it won't break easily. – Dr. Yong pointed out.

-You are going to use the clock in the next room. When you go, this timeline will stop until you come back. – My father explained while looking at me.

-Dad, but I don't understand; why do you want me to go? – I asked, confused.

-I want you to test the potential of this artifact, and when you come back, I wish to hear the new life you build away from here. – My father admitted before Dr. Yong took my shoulder.

-Young man, Project R.D. will change lives if it works, and you are the one who will define the success of this technological gadget. – Dr. Yong disclosed before he walked away and opened the door of the next room. -Come inside; everyone needs to see history happen. – Dr. Yong said happily, letting all the partners get into the room.

I took a deep breath while looking ahead, hesitating my decisions so far. I never expected to leave, but after thinking about it all night, I concluded that this project could help me do something for the man I love.

-Are you ready? – My father asked while patting my back.

-Dad, can I ask you something before continuing with this? – I questioned, concerned.

-Go ahead. – My father spoke.

-You hurt me multiple times and beat me when you pleased. But why? – I said, confused.

-Back in the white room, when you were doing your test, did you feel pain while moving inside the interspace? – My father questioned.

-Interspace? That's why it felt so real. Right? – I asked, which my father nodded in response. -Well, back then, I didn't feel any pain. – I replied.

-I always wanted you to become the first subject to test the project R.D. So, by hitting you, I made it easier for you to live and control the interspace effects. And that makes everything smoother when you travel between timelines. – My father explained.

-Alright. If that's it, I'm ready to go. – I assured my father while looking at him.

Before 1:39 a.m. Day number nine of 2021. Behind the books on the desk's shelf. Nine boys one dream; my team and family.