Chapter 8

The days flew by in rushing waves. I spent hours training my quirk to try and distract myself from the constant gnawing in my stomach. My dad and uncle were hardly around either, both of them trying to make last minute preparations for their school's exam. Up until now the thought of applying to UA hadn't felt real. It was just a story, and me- the main character- would surely to pass. However, now my own significance in the world weighed on me. I wasn't the protagonist in some story, and I wasn't immune to failure.

I shivered slightly, wrapping my blanket tighter. I had to succeed. Everything I had planned for my life balanced on the outcome of tomorrow. I knew I needed to go to sleep. My energy had to be at its peak tomorrow. Yet I tossed and turned, my mind moving at a million miles a minute. I groaned, and shut my eyes, I had the sudden urge to cry.

Buzz

I grimaced as my eyes adjusted from the dark room to my bright phone.

Shinso: You awake?

Me: Yeah...can't sleep

Shinso: welcome to my world :/

Me: You ready for tomorrow?

Shinso: Definitely not...

Me: me either

Shinso: Oh please little owl, you'll do fine!

Me: How do you know? Yeah I practice, but I'm not like amazing or anything, apparently the kids who get into UA are ultra talented!

Shinso: If you don't get in I'll never pet a cat again.

Shinso: Besides, IM the one who should be worried!

Me: Like I told you, I'm sure the exam is tailored so those with phycological quirks can do well too.

Shinso: I hope you're right

Me: Remember our promise? We're both gonna get in together, then become the best pro hero duo ever :D

Shinso: Right right of course, I guess I'll see you tomorrow then?

Me: Yup, I'll look for you in the auditorium, maybe we can even work together on the exam.

Shinso: I'd slow you down

Me: nonsense! If I have to have confidence in myself so do you

Shinso: alright alright. Goodnight Zeppelin

Me: Night dumbass, try to get some sleep

Shinso: We'll see...

"Y/N! I want you up and ready so you're not half asleep at the school!" My dad's voice filtered through my sleepy consciousness as I groaned.

"What time is it?" I mumbled.

"Its 7:00, but we need to be at the school early so I can get to the observation room."

"Alright alright, I'm up," I said lightly, my eyes still closed. The bed was so warm.

"Y/n! If you don't get up I won't make you coffee!" My dad called sternly.

I jumped out of bed.

"Who's tired? Not me!" I yelled. I rushed to my bathroom to brush my teeth and tie up my hair. I looked in the mirror, my under-eyes were as dark as ever. Sighing I headed downstairs to get my coffee.

I sat at the counter next to my dad, both of us silently sipping our drinks. My mind came up with all the possible scenarios of what the exam could be. Would we have to fight pro heroes? Maybe it was more of a practical rescue training...I wish I'd refreshed my memory on first aid basics.