Chapter 21

The nurses made my dad stay in the hospital for the next couple of days, much to his disdain. During that time Uncle Hizashi stayed over at my house to look after me. Well...he was supposed to look after me, but it felt more like I was looking after him.

"Y/n, if chocolate comes from a bean, does that mean it's technically a vegetable?" Uncle Zashi came into the living room where I was reading, curiously looking at the back of a chocolate bar.

"Sounds legit to me," I yawned, putting down my current book. The doctors told me not to train for a few days to let myself heal. That meant I had lots of time to catch up on some greatly missed reading.

Ring

"Oh! Your boyfriend must be here!" Hizashi teasingly winked at me.

"For the last time HE'S NOT MY BOYFRIEND!" I complained loudly. Nevertheless I eagerly got up from my seat to go answer the door.

I opened the door. Shinso was looking out at the road, his purple hair dancing softly in the wind. He turned around, his hand on his neck, and smiled at me.

"Good evening little owl," his eyes scrunched up in a grin.

"Someone looks happy," I playfully rolled my eyes before grabbing his arm and dragging him inside.

"Sheesh you're gonna pull my arm off," he muttered.

"You're so dramatic."

"Oh, I'm dramatic?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I scrunched my nose at him.

I showed him into the living room, where Uncle Zashi was sitting on the sofa.

"Oh hey there...Shinso is it?" Hizashi waved.

"Hello Mr. Yamada," Shinso politely gave a small bow. I tried to cover up my grin at his formalness.

Uncle Zashi was right in the middle of the couch, meaning there was only room for Hitoshi and I to sit on either side of him.

"Umm, Uncle Zashi..." I whispered at him. He turned to me. I used my hands motioning for him to move.

"Oh! Sorry sorry," he scooted over a few inches and patted next to him.

"Uncle Zashi," I rolled my eyes.

"Alright fine! I get the memo," he pouted and got up from the couch.

"No closed doors," he whispered to me quickly before leaving the room.

I started to blush. What did he think was gonna happen? It's not like we were dating or anything.

"Okay, let's see," Hitoshi unzipped the backpack he had brought in. "Some of this for you," he handed me a box of (favorite candy) while continuing to rummage through the bag.

"Oh my favorite!" I grinned happily taking the box.

"I also figured you'd be needing this for a while, its from Mexico and supposed to be super good," he handed me a paper bag with a fancy label. Coffee grounds.

"Oh my god I love you," I said excitedly. I paused with my hands midair, quickly looking up. Shinso said nothing for a moment and looked at me.

"Well of course you do," he smirked. I rolled my eyes again and took the gift.

"Okay. What movie should we watch?" I asked, grabbing a pillow from beside me.

"You pick. You're the injured one."

"I'm not that hurt you know," I reminded him.

"Oh. Well in that case I guess I can take those gifts back," Shinso said.