Chapter 19- Christmas Past

(Flashback 6 years ago)

I jumped out of bed, putting on some fuzzy socks to guard my feet against the cold winter floor. I hurried to look out my window. The ground looked like the bottom of a snow-globe. It was a white Christmas!

Excitedly I jumped down the steps two at a time. Entering the living room I admired the colorful lights along the mantle, the paper snowflakes on the walls, and the tree. Our tree this year was huge. It took both my dad and uncle to get it inside.

I smiled, thinking of how my dad argued that there was no logical reason for a tree. But Uncle Zashi, Auntie Nem, and I nagged and nagged until he finally gave in. I think he ended up liking it the most. He spent hours making the lights and decorations just perfect.

I walked over to the tree, smelling the fresh pine. My favorite decoration was of a little cat that was wearing a Santa hat. I think I got it when I was a baby. Quickly I checked under the tree to make sure my wrapped gift was in place. I saw the carefully wrapped box labeled:

To: My hero

Everything was perfect.

"Daddd!!!" I called impatiently.

I ran back up the stairs and into his room. He was fast asleep, and hated being woken up...but it was Christmas!

"Come on dad! Wake up!" I smiled, tugging on his arm.

He muffled something inaudible.

"Fine...you leave me no choice," I warned. I grabbed the pillow that was next to him and slammed it down on his face.

"Ow! Y/n!!" He exclaimed.

"Merry Christmas Dad!" I laughed.

"Merry Christmas, princess," he yawned and slowly got out of the bed. 

I took his arm and dragged him down the stairs.

"Woah woah, slow down. Presents aren't going anywhere."

"I know...I'm just too excited!" I giggled.

"Okay, you sit down and wait for me...I just need some coffee first," he grumbled.

Happily I ran into the living room and jumped on the couch. I was more excited to give my dad his gift than I was to receive anything. This year I thought hard before deciding on something. I silently laughed at the thought of him opening it.

"Dadddd!" I called, "You are literally taking forever!"

"You're so dramatic," he rolled his eyes, walking into the room with a fresh cup of coffee.

"Can I try some?" I asked.

He thought for a minute before nodding and handing me the cup.

I smelled the bittersweet aroma and took a sip.

"This is amazing!" I sighed.

"Uh oh," he chuckled, "I should have known I couldn't keep coffee a secret for so long from an Aizawa."

I took a few more sips before handing the mug back.

"Okay okay, let's open them now!" I bounced on my seat.

"You sure you don't want to wait a few more hours for Hizashi and Nem to get here?" My dad asked.

"Well...can we at least open one?" I pleaded.

"Alright," he agreed, "Lets each open one."

"You first!" I ran to the tree to pick up my carefully wrapped gift. The paper also had little white cats on it.