Part 7: To find the Insignia

About an hour after their introduction to each other, Subaru, Emilia, and Puck began their investigation to find the thief who stole Emilia's insignia but...

"This is going nowhere..."

Emilia said in a dissatisfied tone, she directed her gaze at Subaru and said

"How do we still not have any leads on this girl? Granted she may have the blessing of the wind but still...."

"Now Now calm down Emilia, Rushing the important things in life usually ends in a catastrophe"

Subaru replied

Both of them suddenly heard a voice that said

"You're one to talk Subaru"

The cat-like creature, Puck, Suddenly appeared out of thin air and continued

"We're stuck in this situation in the first place because you keep saying 'Don't worry guys, I know a shortcut' and then you lead us to a dead-end"

"H-Hey! that may be true but I'm the one who asks people if they saw your little thief, your daughter wouldn't even try to talk to anyone! "

Puck looked at Subaru with an offended expression and said

"You think I'll allow those filthy humans to talk to my precious angel?!"

"You're using the overprotective dad card now eh?"

"All right that's enough you two"

Emilia sensing that their fighting would escalate, stepped in and said

"if you two will keep on fighting like that, then we'll never find that girl"

"Hmmm...you're right"

Subaru may not have much time before the frost happens again. realizing this, the gears in Subaru's brain started spinning, and he started carefully analyzing the situation

"Emilia...do know anyone that might wanna steal your insignia?"

Subaru had already guessed her answer to his question but decided to ask for confirmation nonetheless

"Due to my position, I could think of many that bear ill will towards me"

'Ok, so she's basically saying that she has quite a high position in this kingdom, good to know...I guess helping her was the right choice, after all.' Subaru thought

"Hmmm...when the girl passed by me when I was getting robbed, she seemed like she was all too familiar at the sight of a mugging....which makes it possible that she's in an environment in which stuff like that happens most of the time... are there any slums around here or something?"

Puck replied in Emilia's stead and said

"There are but what are you really sure that the girl lives in the slums?"

"People living in environments such as those could be easily used by those with power, it's a basic failsafe plan actually. if I was the one that wanted to steal your insignia then I'd hire someone from the slums, people like them could be easily swayed by money to do dirty work and if they failed then I could easily wash off my hands and find another"

Emilia pouted after hearing this and said

"......That's true but I don't like the way you put it"

"Well I can't help it, it is what it is after all. do you know the direction of the slums?"

"Ah I do, it's west from here just fro-"

Emilia suddenly stopped talking and looked in a certain direction, Subaru wondered what was going on and looked in the same direction, what they saw was